[Blueboard] In Memoriam: Marilou Diaz-Abaya

Jesuit Communications jcf at admu.edu.ph
Tue Oct 9 10:01:07 PHT 2012

With deepest sorrow
the Board of Trustees,
Director
Officers andStaff
of

Jesuit Communications
announces the passing away of
a trustee of JesCom

MARILOU DIAZ ABAYA

(1955-2012)

After courageously battling cancer, she passed on to the Realm of Light,
on October 8, 2012 where Jesus her savior awaits her and welcomes her
with joy.

Following her wishes, she was accompanied in the last moments of her
journey by the prayers of scores of friends, students, admirers and many
people whose lives she touched.

A consummate artist, writer and movie director, Marilou, received many
awards, national and international, for her work in film and television.
Her movies have become milestones in Philippine cinema, whether these
films be intimate and psychological, like /Karnal/, or epic and grand
like /José Rizal/ or /Bagong Buwan/, set in the decades-long conflict in
Mindanao.

Among her many awards, she was given the Ateneo de Manila University's
Tanglaw ng Lahi, which recognizes her body of works and her career in media.

She served as teacher and mentor to many students, among them students
of the Ateneo, priests and seminarians of the Archdiocese of Pampanga,
whom she assisted in becoming Men of Light.

She was a member of Jesuit Communications Board of Trustees, from 1995.

We will remember Marilou as a professional and teacher but above all as
an inspiring friend and companion, whose wit and faith did not abandon
her even in her darkest hours. To her, we offer our prayers and our
gratitude.

To her family and loved ones, our condolences and sympathy but above all
our thanks for giving the JesCom family a wonderful person, who will
continue to inspire because of her epic vision and unflagging tenacity.

--

Jesuit Communications Foundation, Inc.
Sonolux Bldg., Seminary Drive,