[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 28 May 2012 Afternoon

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon May 28 17:52:53 PHT 2012

(The contents of this newsbrief service do not necessarily reflect the views of SLB. News and opinion are summarized from various sources; and headlines are retained as they are in the original. Rights on the article remain on the websites indicated. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin visit the website indicated in every news item.)

Newsbriefs 28 May 2012 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Palace: There is a strong case vs Corona (ABS-CBN News)

"MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang believes there is a "strong case" against Chief Justice Renato Corona but it would not go as far as to say that Corona would be convicted by the impeachment court.

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Palace does not want to preempt but would respect the decision of the impeachment court.

"Based on the evidence and the admissions that have been given, it is a strong case. Ayaw po nating pangunahan ang mga senator-judges natin. We have consistently said that it will be their decision. We will defer to the decision that will be made, the verdict that will be handed out," Valte told reporters."

Defense" We gave CJ an honorable fight (www.philstar.com)

"MANILA, Philippines - The defense team of Chief Justice Renato Corona is all geared up for today's final arguments in the impeachment trial at the Senate.

Rico Paolo Quicho, one of Corona's lawyers, said the final arguments will be made by chief defense counsel Serafin Cuevas and Dean Eduardo delos Angeles.

The defense team will focus its arguments on Article 2 of the three remaining articles of impeachment, accusing Corona of betrayal of public trust and/or betrayal of the Constitution for failure to declare his properties and bank accounts in his statements of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN).

"What we feel very strongly is that the properties is a foregone conclusion," Quicho told The Star. He was referring to the defense's move to destroy the prosecution's claims that Corona owned 45 properties. Although the issue of the 45 properties was not in the complaint, the prosecution had used the issue to pin down the chief justice before the bar of public opinion."

---------------------------------------

Corona to accept verdict of Senate (www.philstar.com)

"MANILA, Philippines - With final arguments expected to be delivered today by the prosecution and defense, the Senate impeachment court is expected to hand down its verdict on Chief Justice Renato Corona by tomorrow.

Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III said yesterday he would recommend to his colleagues that they hand down the verdict tomorrow after studying the final arguments of both the defense and prosecution panels today.

"There might be a compelling statement or reason from either side. Some of us who have not fully made up (our) minds, unless (with) a good picture of the proceedings, cannot immediately decide. So to be fair to everyone, the day after would be the best option," Sotto said in a radio interview.

Supreme Court spokesman Midas Marquez said the Chief Justice is ready to accept the verdict of the impeachment court.

"The Chief Justice has surrendered to God's will," Marquez said in a text message."

SC will accept senator-judges' verdict in impeachment case  (Philippine Daily Inquirer)

"MANILA, Philippines-The Supreme Court will accept "whatever verdict" the Senate impeachment court will render on embattled Chief Justice Renato Corona, a member of the high tribunal said Monday.

Associate Justice Martin Villarama, who has been assigned to write the high court ruling on Corona's petition to stop his impeachment, said the tribunal would accept any Senate decision, which is expected to be out Tuesday.

He also said that his draft ponencia on Corona's petition was ready but he partially agreed with a reporter's question that it could become "moot" due to the Senate ruling expected on Tuesday.

"We'll accept anything. We'll accept the verdict. Whatever it is, we'll accept it," Villarama told reporters during an ambush interview at the Supreme Court."

Enrile reminds Corona camp of Senate jurisdiction over impeachment (www.gmanews.tv)

"Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile on Monday reminded the camp of Chief Justice Renato Corona of the Senate's jurisdiction over all cases of impeachment.

At the start of Monday's trial, Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile asked lead defense counsel Serafin Cuevas whether he really declared in an interview over radio dzBB that the verdict of the Senate can be appealed before the Supreme Court. Cuevas admitted making the statement.

Enrile reminded Cuevas of Section 3 (6) of Article XI of the Philippine Constitution which states: "The Senate shall have the sole power to try and decide all cases of impeachment... No person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two-thirds of all the Members of the Senate."

"We respect your position but I just want to remind you our reading of Article XI. It's provided that the Senate shall have the sole power to try and decide all impeachment cases," Enrile, presiding officer of the impeachment court, told Cuevas."

Defense: We can still run to SC (ABS-CBNnews.com)

"MANILA, Philippines - A spokesman of Chief Justice Renato Corona's defense team said they can still run to the Supreme Court if the Senate impeachment court convicts Corona in his impeachment trial.

Lawyer Ramon Esguerra said seeking relief from the Supreme Court is still possible if they feel that there was grave abuse of discretion on the part of the Senate during the trial. He also said the Constitution is silent on whether or not the Senate verdict would be final and executory.

"Alam mo, quiet and silent na naman ang ating Saligang Batas kung final and executory and judgment diyan eh. 'Yun ang kabigatan sa usaping ito dahil hindi mo na naman alam kung saan mo huhugutin 'yung pagbabatayan ng argumento ng bawat panig," he told radio dzMM."