[Blueboard] Director of the Office of Admission and Aid for the Loyola Schools

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Thu May 24 13:18:52 PHT 2012

Memo to     :     The University Community

Subject         :     Director of Office of Admission and Aid for the Loyola Schools

I am pleased to announce the appointment of Dr Jumela F Sarmiento as the Director of the Office of Admission and Aid (OAA) for the Loyola Schools from 1 June 2012 to 31 March 2014.

As the new Director of the OAA, Dr Sarmiento shall continue the usual University protocols, measures, and processes that ensure we are able to recruit and select the most promising students for the Ateneo de Manila. She shall also be the Loyola Schools focal point for managing financial aid and scholarships.

Dr Sarmiento herself was a scholar of the Ateneo de Manila when she was studying for her BS in Mathematics. She also holds an MS in Mathematics from the Ateneo de Manila and a PhD in Mathematics from the Kyushu University in Japan.

Dr Sarmiento has been a member of the LS Admissions Committee from 2002-2012 and of the special committee on Merit Scholarship since 2011.  She also served as Chair of the Mathematics department from 2003-2006.  She is current President of the Mathematical Society of the Philippines (MSP), and actively involved in work with the Commission on Higher Education, Department of Science and Technology - Science Education Institute, Southeast Asian Mathematical Society, and Erasmus Mundus Mobility in Asia (EMMA East-West).

On behalf of the Ateneo de Manila, I would like to thank Dr Sarmiento for accepting this important assignment. I enjoin everyone to please extend our wholehearted support to her as she leads the OAA in the coming years.

We express as well our deep appreciation to Fr Nemesio S Que SJ for his dedicated service and significant contributions as Director of OAA since 1 April 1998.

May the Lord continue to look kindly on the work we do for others in this his mission that is the Ateneo de Manila.

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ