[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 17 May 2012 Afternoon

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Thu May 17 17:42:49 PHT 2012

The contents of this newsbrief service do not necessarily reflect the views of SLB. News and opinion are summarized from various sources; and headlines are retained as they are in the original. Rights on the article remain on the websites indicated. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin visit the website indicated in every news item.)

Newsbriefs 17 May 2012 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

CJ testifies on Tuesday (www.philstar.com)

"MANILA, Philippines - Four months after his impeachment, Chief Justice Renato Corona will finally testify in his trial on Tuesday, with his lawyers given the remaining days of this week to help him prepare his testimony.

"The sole and only witness remaining is the respondent," defense lead counsel former Justice Serafin Cuevas said, referring to the Chief Justice.

"No weekend for now. It would be embarrassing to seek extension from the court so I am already apologetic. It is not a matter of right anymore," Cuevas said.

Defense lawyer Jose Roy III manifested before the impeachment court that they be allowed to present Corona on Tuesday.

Impeachment court presiding officer Juan Ponce Enrile initially turned down the defense's request to make its next appearance on Tuesday, but eventually relented."

---------------------------------------

Private prosecutor to cross-examine Corona (ABS-CBN News)

"MANILA, Philippines - Chief Prosecutor Niel Tupas Jr. won't be doing the cross-examination of Chief Justice Renato Corona when he takes the witness stand next week.

Instead, House Majority Leader Neptali Gonzales said lead private prosecutor Mario Cautista will most likely do the cross-examination on Corona.

Another House prosecutor, Bayan Muna party-list Rep. Neri Colmenares, said that apart from Bautista, he also recommended private prosecutor Arthur Lim to do the cross-examination.

Colmenares said he wants Bautista to cross-examine Corona for Articles 2 and 3 while Lim can handle Article 7.

Fleet of Philippine fishing boats sailing to Panatag (www.philstar.com)

"MANILA, Philippines - A fleet of fishing boats are sailing to Panatag Shoal (Scarborough Shoal) Friday to reinforce the country's territorial claim over the rich fishing ground, 124 nautical miles from Zambales province, which is being claimed by China as part of its maritime domain.

Leading the Panatag fishing expedition is former Marine Captain Nicanor Faeldon and former Annapolis cadet Manny Albuera.

Fishermen from Faeldon's home province, Batanes, and Masinloc town, which is part of Zambales province, are slated to fish in Panatag Shoal, which China has included in its declared fishing holiday.

For more than a month now, Panatag Shoal (Scarborough Shoal) is the scene of a tense territorial standoff between the Philippines and China.

Given a chance, the group intends to once again raise the Philippine flag in one of the rocks in the area, said Kit Guerrero speaking on behalf of Faeldon and one of the planners of the fishing trip.

"We are already here in Masinloc. So far we don't see any glitches that would stall the voyage," Guerrero said, when reached by phone on Thursday afternoon."

Bishop backs GMA treatment abroad (ABS-CBNnews.com)

"MANILA, Philippines - A Catholic bishop is backing the request of former President and now Pampanga 2nd District Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo to seek medical treatment abroad.

In a CBCPNews report, Tagbilaran Bishop Leonardo Medroso reiterated that while Arroyo should be prosecuted for acts she allegedly committed before she became a congresswoman, the government should also consider her health condition.

"For humanitarian reason I hope the former president be allowed to get medical treatment abroad," he said.

"For me personally, she should be treated where ever she wants. We are now looking for a person or a patient who is in an emergency," he said."

Aquino names 4 likely senatorial candidates (Philippine Daily Inquirer)

"MANILA, Philippines - President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday night disclosed the names of four people he said were certain to be included on the administration's senatorial ticket in 2013.

These are Customs Commissioner Rozzano Rufino Biazon, Technical Education and Skills Development Authority head Joel Villanueva, Aurora Representative Juan Edgardo Angara and former Akbayan Rep. Risa Hontiveros.

"We have four candidates already that have been decided," President Aquino said in an open forum at a gathering of Wharton alumni in Makati City.

"There are, as you know. a lot more applicants than slots. There are at least 24, probably 32 that are applying for the 12 slots," the President  said. "We have Ruffy Biazon; we have Risa Hontiveros-Baraquel; we have Joel Villanueva; and Sonny Angara also," he said.

"Then there are others. But I think we have talks ongoing with various coalition partners and it'll be too premature to tell you all of the other candidates. And it will be unfair for those who have or are applying but might not be accepted to announce their names at this time."