[Blueboard] Symposium on Climate Change and Biotechnology: Exploring Options towards Food Security

Rowena C. Argones margones at ateneo.edu
Thu May 17 11:00:39 PHT 2012

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

Climate change poses challenges and brings opportunities.  Shifts in
climate, extreme weather events and growing demand make food security
a critical priority for our country.  The risk posed by changes in
rainfall, land use and population calls for a review of strategic
options and innovations in the areas of food supply and distribution.

It is in this light that the Manila Observatory, the Ateneo de Manila
University?s Departments of Environmental Science and Biology, and the
Department of Agriculture?s Philippine Agricultural Development and
Commercial Corporation, have partnered with the U.S. Department of
State?s Biotechnology Outreach Program to co-organize this symposium.
This event also reflects an almost decade-long partnership between the
United States and the Philippines in the fields of agricultural
biotechnology development, adoption and trade.

May we therefore invite you or your representative to a climate change
and biotechnology symposium, ?Climate Change and Biotechnology:
Exploring Options towards Food Security??   It will be held from
3:00-5:00 p.m. on May 21, 2012, at the Escaler Hall, Science Education
Complex of the Ateneo de Manila University Campus, Katipunan Avenue,
Quezon City.

Our main speaker is Dr. Peter J. Davies, a Professor of Plant
Physiology at Cornell University, where he has been a member of the
faculty for 42 years.  Dr. Davies is, likewise, a Jefferson Science
Fellow with the Office of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Textile
Trade Affairs at the U.S. State Department?s Bureau of Economics and
Business Affairs.  A multi-sectoral panel of reactors has been invited
to comment on Dr. Davies? presentation.

Thank you very much and we hope to see you at this event.

Antonia Y. Loyzaga          Emilyn Q. Espiritu          Merab A. Chan
Executive Director          Chairman                    Chairman
Manila Observatory          Environmental Science       Biology Department
                                Department