[Blueboard] Ateneo Physics News

Quirino M. Sugon, Jr. qsugon at ateneo.edu
Mon Jan 30 13:19:53 PHT 2012

This week in Ateneo Physics News:

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/ateneo-physics-week-from-jan-30-to-feb-3-2012/

This January 30 ? February 3 the Ateneo League of Physicists (LeaPs)
will be holding the annual Physics Week, a whole week dedicated to
giving the Ateneo community, and even high school students around the
Metro Manila, an opportunity to join in various physics activities:
Physics Quiz Bee, Real Physics Game, Film Showing, The Wright Design,
and Stargazing...

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/dr-reinabelle-reyes-to-give-a-talk-at-ateneo-de-manila-university-on-8-feb-2012-birth-and-death-of-the-milky-way/

Abstract:
Our Milky Way galaxy is one of hundreds of billions of galaxies in the
  Universe today. In this talk, I will use the latest astronomical
observations and cosmological simulations to tell the story of how
galaxies formed over the last ten billion years, and how our own Milky
  Way galaxy will meet its end a ?mere? three billion years from now.

About the Speaker:
Reinabelle Reyes completed her BS Physics from the Ateneo de Manila
University in 2005, summa cum laude, and her Ph.D. in Astrophysics
from Princeton University in 2011. She was awarded the Chambliss
Astronomy Achievement Student Award by the American Astronomical
Society for her contribution to the discovery of the largest number
obscured quasars to date.
Reina is currently a fellow at the Kavli Institute for Cosmological
Physics, University of Chicago. Her research interests include
observational cosmology (weak gravitational lensing) and galaxy
formation (disk galaxy kinematics).

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/ateneo-physics-faculty-adler-santos-gets-his-paper-on-polarized-light-via-geometric-algebra-published-in-josa-a/

Ateneo Physics faculty Adler Santos wrote a paper entitled,
"Polarization ellipse and Stokes parameters in geometric algebra,?
which was published this January 2012 in Journal of Optical Society of
America A:... Adler?s co-authors were his mentors Dr. Quirino Sugon
Jr. and Fr. Daniel J. McNamara, SJ who are both based in the
Department of Physics and Manila Observatory. Adler finished his BS
and MS Physics in Ateneo de Manila University last 2008 and 2011,
respectively.  Below is an interview of Adler Santos by Ateneo Physics
News...

--
QUIRINO M. SUGON, JR.

Physics Department, Loyola School of Science and Engineering,
Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City
Philippines 1108

P.O. Box 154, Manila 0917, Philippines

Tel. No. (632)426-1043 or (632)426-6001 local 5692
Fax. No. (632)426-1043
E-mail: qsugon at ateneo.edu