[Blueboard] Ateneo Traffic Group

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Sat Jan 14 11:07:20 PHT 2012

ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY
Office of the President

Memo to       :     The University Community

>From              :     The President

Subject           :     Ateneo Traffic Group

I wish to inform the University Community that I have convened the Ateneo Traffic Group (ATG) with mandate to advise me on vehicular traffic concerns on the Loyola Heights campus.  With C5 or Katipunan Ave now serving as conduit from the South Luzon to the North Luzon Expressways, we anticipate traffic problems to escalate.

More specifically, the objectives of the ATG are:

·         Review the university's current policies, procedures and systems on traffic management and identify areas for improvement and proposed actions for the short and medium term (1-3 years).

·         Review MMDA proposals to improve traffic flow on Katipunan and Ateneo

·         Advise the President on strategic initiatives and alternative long term solutions to traffic problems on campus

The ATG shall also consult members of the community to get their feedback on the reviews and recommendations that will be sent to my office.

The members of the ATG are:

·         Dr Edna P Franco, Vice President for Administration and Planning, who helps us with the strategic planning process in the University.

·         Mr Jose Arnulfo Batac, Director for Facilities Management, who supervises the traffic and safety management

·         Dr Czarina Saloma_Akpedonu, Associate Professor of Sociology and Director of the Institute of Philippine Culture.  She has been conducting studies on the socio-cultural dimensions of science, technology, and the built environment, and assessing the implementation and outcomes of social development projects since 1999.

·         Ms Abigail Favis, faculty member of the Department of Environmental Science and coordinator of the Ateneo Environmental Management Council. Her research areas include natural systems of wastewater treatment, environmental monitoring, and environmental management.

·         Dr Kardi Teknomo, Associate Professor at the Department of Information Systems and Computer Science.  He holds a PhD in Information Sciences from Tohoku University (Japan), a Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) in Geotechnical and Transportation Engineering from the Asian Institute of Technology (Thailand).  His research interests include modeling urban spatial and traffic simulation, human behaviours and activities.  He has developed software programs on pedestrian simulation (Micro-PedSim), traffic network analysis (TFN) and urban growth simulator (Eden) and has taught courses and workshops on pedestrianology, geographic information systems (GIS), land use and transportation interaction, urban transportation planning, traffic engineering, traffic impact studies, highway geometric design, transportation and environmental impact.

I enjoin everyone to please support the work of the ATG.  You may submit proposals and feedback to this Group any time.  I have asked them to submit an initial report for discussion at the meeting of the Board of Trustees on 4 February 2012.

Solving campus mobility is one of our important strategies to achieve the goal of a sustainable campus, under the third strategic thrust of Environment and Development.  We will need sharp minds and resolute wills to design a new framework for campus mobility.

For your guidance and engagement,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ