[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 5 January 2012 Afternoon

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Thu Jan 5 18:01:50 PHT 2012


(The contents of this newsbrief service do not necessarily reflect the views of SLB. News and opinion are summarized from various sources; and headlines are retained as they are in the original. Rights on the article remain on the websites indicated. For more detailed information about any story in this bulletin visit the website indicated in every news item.)



Newsbriefs 5 January 2012 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

 

25 dead, 150 missing in Compostela landslide (www.philstar.com)



MANILA, Philippines - A predawn landslide in a mining site in Compostela Valley today killed at least 25 people while more than 150 others remained missing, police said.

 

In an interview, Davao Region police chief Jaime Morente said rescuers recovered 25 dead bodies from the gold-rich village Panganason, a hinterland barangay in Pantukan town.

Morente said search team, including local miners, launched intensive efforts to rescue possible survivors. But he pointed out that rescuers have hard time in reaching the area due to its unfriendly terrain.

 

Heavy downpour brought about by the hovering Low Pressure Area (LPA) in Mindanao may have caused the mining site to collapse, burying dozens of shanties above it."

---------------------------------------------------- 

PNoy orders investigation of ComVal landslide (ABS-CBN News)

 

"MANILA, Philippines - President Aquino on Thursday ordered an investigation into the landslide that hit Bgy. Napnapan, Pantukan, Compostela Valley. 
 
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo will go to Compostela Valley on Friday. 
 
Local government officials in Compostela Valley have been warned as early as last year of the danger posed to residents living on the hillside of Bgy. Napnapan, Pantukan, according to Malacañang.
 
Lacierda said local government officials have been presented a geohazard map in the area early on and local officials have been told to evacuate residents living in the area. 
 
"Last April (2011), they had a meeting. (DENR) Secretary Mon Paje, (DILG) Secretary Robredo and (Defense) Secretary Gazmin had a meeting in holy week with the local government officials and they presented a geohazard map of that area. And they categorically informed them, the local government officials, that there were already fissures in the ridges in this particular area. And they strongly warned the local government unit that they have to evacuate the residents in those areas. Unfortunately, because of the difficulty of reaching that, the local government officials had a difficulty evacuating them," Lacierda said."

------------------------------------------------- 

Palace won't call for Corona's resignation (ABS-CBN News)

 

"MANILA, Philippines - The Palace will not call for the resignation of Chief Justice Corona but said that it would welcome it if Corona does so. 

 

Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said that for now, he is leaving it to the impeachment court to decide the fate of Corona. 
 
"We've already impeached the Chief Justice. If we would ask for his resignation, they might say we're too presumptuous and arrogant. So we will leave it with the Senate impeachment court to decide on the fate of Chief Justice Corona. But if he decides to voluntarily resign, again-my statement is, in the same manner that the Ombudsman resigned voluntarily-we would certainly welcome the resignation," Lacierda said."

-------------------------------------------------- 

Plunder raps recommended vs. 2 ex-AFP chiefs, 9 others (INQUIRER.net )

 

"MANILA, Philippines-(UPDATE) The Department of Justice (DoJ) on Thursday recommended the filing of plunder case against two former Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines following the allegations of misspent P2.3-billion military fund.

 

In a 100-page resolution, the DoJ panel of investigators said there is probable cause to recommend the filing of plunder raps against former AFP Chiefs of Staff Diomedio Villanueva and Roy Cimatu.

 

Also recommended to be included if the charges are filed were former AFP comptrollers Jacinto Ligot and Carlos Garcia, Maj. Gen. Hilario Atendido, Brig. General Benito De Leon, Cols. Cirilo Tomas Donato, Roy Devesa, Lt. Col. Ernesto Paranis, Generoso Del Castillo and Divina Cabrera.

 

"The panel of prosecutors found probable cause to charge high-ranking officials (past and present) of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and their civilian co-conspirators for plunder," the DoJ panel of prosecutors stated in the resolution signed by panel chair Prosecutor General Claro Arellano.

 

The resolution stated that Villanueva received from Atendido P62-million of converted funds. He also received P5-million a month which he used for his travels, domestic and international, official and unofficial.

 

"He also knew of, and made use of, the AFP's rented house in Acropolis Village in Quezon City and was involved in the anomalous purchase of the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) by the AFP which did not pass through the normal bidding process," the resolution stated."

------------------------------------------------- 

AFP supports investigations of military officers accused of plunder (INQUIRER.net )

 

"MANILA, Philippines-The Armed Forces of the Philippines on Thursday said they will provide any available assistance that they can in investigations to be conducted on former military officials accused of plunder.

 

"As always we are ready to provide resource persons not only to shed light on the truth [but also on] other documents and other information required by investigating authorities and all undertakings to ferret out the truth," AFP spokesman Colonel Arnulfo Burgos Jr. said in a press briefing Thursday."

----------------------------------------------------- 

Palace welcomes JDV testimony vs GMA (ABS-CBN News)

 

"MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang welcomed Thursday the reported decision of former House Speaker Jose de Venecia to testify on the NBN-ZTE deal.
 
'Yun naman po ang aming noon pa ho hinihiling doon sa may kinalaman sa ZTE, kung may alam kayo sa ZTE, ilabas niyo na po ang inyong kaalaman. That is what we've always been asking for. Even during the ZTE-NBN hearing, that's what we've always been saying. So we certainly welcome the decision of the former Speaker to speak and come out and testify to what he personally knows about the ZTE-NBN deal. So yes, we hope that the. former speaker would share what he knew, he knows about the deal," Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said. 

De Venecia earlier agreed to testify in the graft cases filed against former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in connection with the botched $329 million broadband network deal with China's ZTE Corp. 

 

The former Speaker said he is offering himself as a witness in Mrs. Arroyo's trial to help President Aquino in his campaign against corruption. 

"I will definitely testify," he said. 

 

 

 

 

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ateneo.edu/pipermail/blueboard/attachments/20120105/be87322f/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Blueboard mailing list