[Blueboard] A Master Class in Classical Acting

mvilches at ateneo.edu mvilches at ateneo.edu
Mon Dec 17 16:49:22 PHT 2012

The School of Humanities presents a Master Class in Classical Acting
for 5 Saturdays in January-February 2013, to be conducted by Dr.
Ricardo G. Abad, the SOH Artistic Consultant for Performing Arts.

Acting skills involve training for confidence and character building
(readiness, voice, speech, tempo, imagery, movement, gesture, space,
action, and character).  The workshops are designed specifically to
foster greater artistic formation for Ateneo student groups in the
performing arts.  Through these workshops, and under the guidance of
Ricky Abad, we also hope to create synergy among Blue Repertory,
Tanghalang Ateneo, Entablado, Blue Symphony, Ateneo Musicians Pool,
Ateneo College Glee Club, and the Company of Ateneo Dancers.

PERFORMING SHAKESPEARE
A Master Class in Classical Acting
conducted by Dr. Ricardo Abad

Filipino actors trained in schools or theater companies tend to follow
a realistic style where stress is placed on the inner life
(motivation, self-discovery, characterization) than in a study of
text, speech, and movement.  As a result, many realistic actors
confess to difficulties switching from the contemporary language of
realistic plays to the heightened language of Shakespeare and other
classical texts.  In contrast, experience shows that actors trained in
classical acting with the use of heightened text have an easier time
switching to realistic drama and prove to be more versatile overall.

It is also unfortunate that many Filipino actors who do Shakespeare in
Filipino do not benefit from a study of Shakespeare in English.
English Shakespeare offers tremendous insights in understanding speech
? its structure and rhythm, imagery and modes of delivery, among
others ? that are very useful when performing Shakespeare in Filipino.
  When combined with realistic and other non-realistic approaches, the
study of classical acting becomes a very powerful training regimen to
build truthful and convincing actors.

This master class is an attempt, in effect, to get down to basics: to
begin with the classical tradition of performing heightened texts and
to build unto it with contemporary approaches that will make
Shakespeare and other classical playwrights (the Greek tragedians,
Moliere, Calderon, Goethe, Rostand, among others, and even Filipino
authors like Balagtas and our epics) resonate on the Philippine
contemporary stage.

Five sessions this time: a sampler of more intensive master classes to
come.  Readiness. Text. Voice. Speech. Tempo. Imagery. Movement.
Gesture. Space. Action, Character.  Five sessions. Ten basic skills.
All we need from you is to be present each time, do the work, and wear
comfortable clothes during the sessions.

Sessions are scheduled for Saturday afternoons, 2-6 p.m.  January 12,
29, 26, and February 2 and 9, 2013.  Venue to be announced.  A
showcase will be held on February 9.

MARIA LUZ C. VILCHES, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Dean, School of Humanities
Loyola Schools, Ateneo de Manila University
Loyola Heights 1108, Quezon City, Philippines
Telephone (632) 4266001, Ext. 5300, 5301
Telephone & Fax (632)4261042
http://www.ateneo.edu/soh

"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
            -W.B. Yeats