[Blueboard] Ateneo Programming Teams Win the DevCon Code Challenge Cup at the Collegiate and High School Levels!

Ma. Mercedes T. Rodrigo, Ph.D. mrodrigo at ateneo.edu
Wed Dec 5 07:59:07 PHT 2012

The Ateneo de Manila University won the DevCon Code Challenge Cup
(C-Cup) at the Collegiate and High School Levels! Patterned after the
ACM International Collegiate Programming Competition, the C-Cup was an
algorithm programming contest in which teams were given 6 hours to
solve 10 problems. To win, teams had to solve as many problems as
possible, as quickly as possible, with the least number of penalty
points for erroneous submissions.  The contest was held last Friday,
November 30, 2012, at Xavier School, San Juan, Metro Manila.  A total
of 45 teams participated teams in three divisions: professional (20
teams), collegiate (18 teams), and high school (7 teams).

Team Perpendicular composed of Vernon Gutierrez (4CS), Mark Joshua Tan
(4CS), and Jonathan Wong (4AMF) ranked 5th overall and won first place at
the Collegiate level besting 17 other teams from ADMU, Ateneo de
Davao, De La Salle University, the University of the Philippines
Diliman, and the
University of Perpetual Help.

Team Progxercise of the Ateneo de Manila High School composed of
Armando Jose Castelo, Marco Daniel de Santos, and Victor Antonio
Ortega, all of 4A, won first place at the High School Division over 6
other teams from ADMU, Philippine Science High School, and Xavier
School.

Also representing the Ateneo were the following teams. At the collegiate
level:
* Team Carmiel: 4th in the division, 9th overall
Jan Amiel Reviche (2CS)
Camille Marie Ruiz (2CS)
Charlene Kate Tolentino (2CS)
* Team Galleta De Gato: 7th in the division, 15th overall
Robin Miguel Anupol (4CS)
Marlou Ramas (4CS)
Antonio Rafael Umali (4CS)
* Team Too Small: 18th in the division, 22nd overall
Carlo Francisco Adajar (4AMF)
Jose Antonio Pascual (2CS)
Gabriel Alberto Sanchez (2CS)
* Team Penguin: Honorable mention
Leona Lao (1CS)
Vermille Ann Saw (1CS)
John Joseph Ugalino (1CS)

At the professional division:
* Team +10 Ultimate Orb: 6th in the division, 10th overall
Daniel John Fordan (4CS)
Janssen Marwin Go (BSCS'11)
Kyle Stephen See (1CS)
* Team Russell: 7th in the division, 11th overall
Job Eliezek Bangayan (2CS)
Russell Santos (BSCS-BSMa'05)
Jayzon Ty (3CS)
* Team Bear: 8th in the division, 12th overall
Thomas Dy (BSCS'10-MSCS'11)
Dalzy Eula Mendoza (1CS)
Jaren Ryan Rex (1APs-ACS)

At the high school division:
* Team DDR: 3rd in the division, honorable mention
David Martin Cuajunco (AHS-4N)
Dave Joseph Oblena (AHS-3A)
Jose Enrico Tiongson (AHS-4B)

We thank our coaches, Dr. Proceso Fernandez, Dr. John Paul Vergara,
Thomas Dy, John Lee, Wilhansen Li, Russell Santos, Michael Ybanez, and
our head coach Janssen Marwin Go. Thank you to our team managers, Dr.
Ma. Mercedes Rodrigo, Jessica Sugay, Walfrido David Diy, and Nelvin
Olalia. Thank you to the DISCS and Ateneo High School faculty,
administrators, technicians, and secretaries and the Ateneo Laboratory
for the Learning Sciences research assistants for their support. Our
thanks to our alumni, friends, and other supporters. Finally, thank
you to our College and High School Programming Varsity Teams for their
hard work!

Congratulations!

--
Ma. Mercedes T. Rodrigo, Ph.D.
Head, Ateneo Laboratory for the Learning Sciences
Email: mrodrigo at ateneo.edu