[Blueboard] IPC-VRA lecture: Indigenous Dis/Empowerment: Untying the Knot of Recognition, Regulation, and Commodification in Philippine Liberalism

ipc ipc at admu.edu.ph
Wed Aug 15 14:25:12 PHT 2012

The Institute of Philippine Culture, School of Social Sciences

cordially invites you to a lecture on

Indigenous Dis/Empowerment: Untying the Knot of Recognition, Regulation, and
Commodification in Philippine Liberalism

by

Mr. Noah Theriault
University of Wisconsin-Madison
IPC Visiting Research Associate

on

22 August 2012 (Wednesday)
4:30 to 6:00 pm
IPC Conference Room
Rm 203, Frank Lynch Hall
Social Development Complex

Abstract

As a Visiting Research Associate of IPC, I have conducted sixteen months of
ethnographic fieldwork in Palawan.  This research serves as the basis of my
doctoral dissertation in cultural anthropology (more info. here:
http://ntheriault.wordpress.com/).  My IPC presentation will discuss a case
study drawn from my dissertation-that of an ongoing dispute over forest
products.  This dispute brings to light the dilemmas faced by Palawan's
indigenous groups as they navigate deeply entangled regimes of political
recognition, environmental regulation, and commodification.  Such "local"
resource conflicts are, in fact, ciphers for much broader political and
cultural struggles, involving bureaucratic agencies, commercial interests,
and diverse constituencies.  At stake are competing models of and for the
status of minority groups within the Philippine polity, their role in
environmental change, and their position within capitalist relations of
production.  These conflicts have complex consequences.  While they create
openings for indigenous groups to challenge certain aspects of the status
quo, they also entail intensified relations with bureaucratic regulation and
commercial markets, neither of which seems particularly favorable to
indigenous rights or sovereignty.  This paradox cannot be reduced to a
simple notion of empowerment or its inverse.  Rather, I will argue, it calls
for more nuanced ways of thinking about the cultural politics of Philippine
liberalism.

*For inquiries please call local 4651*213 or e-mail ipc at admu.edu.ph