[Blueboard] THE REAL RIZAL/THE REEL RIZAL

kabcede at ateneo.edu kabcede at ateneo.edu
Wed Jun 22 16:19:41 PHT 2011

The Interdisciplinary Studies Department and the Loyola Film Circle present

THE REAL RIZAL/THE REEL RIZAL

a two-part activity featuring

RIZAL, CINEMA AND THE FILIPINO NATION
A Film Lecture/Presentation by Nick Deocampo of the Center for New Cinema

Monday, 4 July 2011
4:30-6:30 p.m.
Faura AVR

and

the restored 1961 film
NOLI ME TANGERE
directed by Gerry de Leon and produced by ARRIVA Bayanihan Productions
presented in cooperation with the Cultural Center of the Philippines

Monday, 8 August 2011
4:30-7:30 p.m.
Faura AVR

Abstract of Nick Deocampo's "Rizal, Cinema and the Filipino Nation"

The country's first feature-length film was about Rizal made in 1912
by an American, Edward Meyer Gross, signaling the inauguration of what
would one day turn into the Tagalog movie industry and what would be
presently known as Philippine cinema. The so-called Father of
Tagalog/Filipino cinema, Don Jose Nepomuceno, also paid homage to
Rizal filming his two novels, Noli and Fili, sadly now part of our lost
film heritage. The long history of local cinema would be further
enriched by films made about the Great Malay and his works. Among
these gems is Gerry de Leon's Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not, 1961), a
monumental tribute to the great work of Rizal; a novel which, with El
Filibusterismo (The Filibuster, film version made in 1962), set fire
to a revolution for which we in the present owe our independence.

Deocampo will present, through their advertisements, Rizal films made
by two Americans in 1912 which inaugurated the local feature-length
film production. The rivalry between these two Americans -- Yearsley
and Gross -- unwittingly resulted in the popular installation of Rizal
as a "national" hero in the public imagination, implicating film in
the act of "nation-building," which ironically happened in the heat of
American colonization.  Deocampo will then fast-forward to a hundred
years ahead during the Philippine centennial when our way of
celebrating our notion of nationhood was to produce three Rizal films.
Excerpts from Marilou Diaz Abaya's and Mike de Leon's Rizal films,
Gerry de Leon's Noli Me Tangere, and other films on Rizal and his
works will then be shown.  He will bring to the discussion
contemporary issues surrounding Rizal and how we in the present frame
issues like nation and nationalism.

Nick Deocampo is the author of the forthcoming book, Film: American
Influences on Philippine Cinema (Mandaluyong: Anvil Publications, for
release September 2011).

"The Real Rizal/The Reel Rizal" is part of the Ateneo de Manila
University's A Legacy of Service: Rizal for the 21st Century, a series
of historical exhibits, academic lectures and cultural presentations
to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Dr. Jose Rizal.