[Blueboard] Ateneo Physics News

Quirino M. Sugon, Jr. qsugon at ateneo.edu
Tue Jun 14 19:48:11 PHT 2011

This week in Ateneo Physics News:

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/on-comparing-the-typhoon-predictions-of-the-old-manila-observatory-and-present-day-pagasa/

After a destructive typhoon, often there appears in print something
like this.  ?Predictions of typhoons were better done by MO.?  This is
an unfair and thoughtless comparison.  The Philippines for which MO
(Manila Observatory) predicted typhoons is different from the
Philippines for which PAGASA (Weather Bureau) predicts....

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/fr-jett-villarin-sj%E2%80%99s-welcome-message-as-the-new-president-of-ateneo-de-manila-university/

Let me welcome everyone to this new school year. I am glad to be back.
I came from Mindanao. But now that this is my new mission, I look
forward to serving you, to serving this nation through the Ateneo. I?d
like to welcome our new students, especially our freshmen. I go with
you in needing to be familiarized again with the Ateneo....

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/ateneo-physics-department-atmospheric-science-program/

The Master of Science in Atmospheric Science (MS AS) curriculum is
founded on the classical graduate curriculum for Meteorology but
allows for flexibility in accommodating the gamut of topics and fields
that are beyond the scope of classical Meteorology but within the
broader vista of atmospheric research (e.g. atmospheric chemistry,
computational science and modeling, etc.).  Proceeding from the
classical foundational Meteorology courses, the student may tackle
current atmospheric research problems from the general vantage point
of either measurements (instrumentation and monitoring) and/or
modeling (computer analysis). The MS AS program will require a
Masteral Thesis which may be based on topics of particular importance
to the student?s line of work and/or topics the graduate faculty are
actively engaged in. The curriculum also allows for balancing or
bridging courses intended for potential students with little or no
background in Atmospheric Science (science, math & engineering majors).

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/fr-jett-villarin-sj-jesuit-scientist-and-administrator/

When Fr. Jose Villarin, or Fr. Jett, was a student in second year
college, Fr. Nebres, the college dean, began recruiting him. He would
take him to Antipolo to drink and discuss being a Jesuit,
Years later, before his final vows, he went for Physics studies at
Marquette University in Wisconsin, known for its strength in science.
Fr. Ben was the Provincial although Fr. Jett wanted to stay in Manila
and take part in protests alongside his classmates, Fr. Ben gave him a
physics book and said, ?Go to Marquette University and study.? ....

--
QUIRINO M. SUGON, JR.

Physics Department, Loyola School of Science and Engineering,
Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City
Philippines 1108

P.O. Box 154, Manila 0917, Philippines

Tel. No. (632)426-1043 or (632)426-6001 local 5692
Fax. No. (632)426-1043
E-mail: qsugon at ateneo.edu