[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 18 November 2010 Thursday
slb at admu.edu.ph
Thu Nov 18 17:48:25 PHT 2010
Newsbriefs 18 November 2010 Thursday
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
P200-B seed fund allotted for Aquino's PPP initiative (www.gmanews.tv)
Four of the country's largest government financial institutions on Thursday committed P200 billion to jump-start the public-private partnership initiative of President Benigno Aquino III, who pledged to shield investors from regulatory risks when they invest in infrastructure projects.
Aquino told a gathering of 500 people, including 200 foreign investors, at the Marriot Hotel in Pasay City that he is aware investors in the past were discouraged from pouring funds into the country when the rules governing infrastructure projects were suddenly changed "without warning" after contracts have been signed with the government.
"When government commits to allow investors to earn their return from user fees, it is important that that commitment be reliable and enforceable. And if private investors are impeded from collecting contractually agreed fees - by regulators, courts, or the legislature - then our government will use its own resources to ensure that they are kept whole," said Aquino.
DOJ mulls over GMA's liability in Maguindanao massacre (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines - Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said on Thursday that the Aquino government is "seriously considering" holding former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo liable for the Maguindanao massacre.
"We will seriously consider that. Pag-uusapan namin 'yan, and ang unang gagawin, iva-validate ang mga actual findings na nilalaman ng Human Rights Watch report," De Lima said when asked during a radio dzMM interview if the government is planning to build a case against Arroyo in connection with the gruesome murder of 57 people on Nov. 23, 2009 in Maguindanao.
The justice secretary said the validation will be done through an investigation of the National Bureau of Investigation's (NBI) Desk Investigation Division.
She said she will order the NBI to look into the other atrocities allegedly committed by the powerful politcal clan of the Ampatuans of Maguindanao during the Arroyo administration.
Aquino: Massacre trial should be aired live (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines - The people should be given the chance to watch live on TV or hear on radio the on-going trial of the accused in the Maguindanao massacre so that past mistakes will not be repeated, President Benigno Aquino III said Wednesday.
The President effectively sided with the media and the families of the 57 massacre victims, including at least 30 media workers, in their call for the Supreme Court to reconsider its earlier decision to bar live coverage of the trial.
Mr. Aquino said he was adding this appeal to his "list" of other appeals to the Supreme Court, with which he had been at odds on a number of issues.
Gov't gets poor grade for handling of massacre case (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines - More and more Filipinos are growing dissatisfied with the way the government is handling the Maguindanao massacre case.
Days before the country commemorates the worst ever murder incident, the Social Weather Stations (SWS) released a survey that polled 1,200 adults across the country.
The poll showed 47% dissatisfied with the government's performance, compared to 44% in December 2009.
Only 35% were satisfied, compared to 41% in the previous survey.
The latest figures show a "poor" net satisfaction rating of -12. The remaining 18% were neither satisfied nor dissatisfied.
Travel agencies: Give new branding a try (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines - "Pilipinas Kay Ganda," the new marketing brand being pushed by the Department of Tourism (DoT), has found an ally among travel agencies.
In a statement, Philippine Travel Agencies Association President Maria Paz Alberto said "[we] respect the decision of the DoT to come out with a new branding for the Philippines in its campaign to attract more tourists. We believe that they should be given time to make this campaign work."
The DoT has drawn flak from different sectors for the "Pilipinas kay Ganda" slogan that will replace the "WOW Philippines" campaign.
Even lawmakers have chimed in, using humor to test the controversy.
More information about the Blueboard