[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 8 November 2010 Monday

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Nov 8 17:46:56 PHT 2010

Newsbriefs 8 November 2010 Monday

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Stop Hacienda Luisita talks with Chinese firm, court asked (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines-Hacienda Luisita farmers asked the Supreme Court to stop Hacienda Luisita Inc. (HLI) and the Department of Trade and Industry from pushing through with their "exploratory talks" with a major Chinese firm for the supply of sugar cane.

In an 11-page Omnibus Motion, the farmers, collectively known as the Alyansa ng mga Manggagawang Bukid sa Hacienda Luisita (Ambala) through their counsel Jobert Ilarde Pahilga, told the high court that it is necessary to stop the negotiations "to assuage the fear of the farm workers that their struggle to revoke the SDO (stock distribution order) and to have the land distributed unto them will not be for naught."

The 6,500-hectare sugar estate owned by the extended family of President Benigno Aquino III is locked in a legal dispute with farm workers who claim ownership of much of the plantation under the land reform program.

'Head-on collision' between govt, Church seen on RH bill (www.gmanews.tv)
Even as the Catholic Church prepares for a dialogue with government on reproductive health, a senior archbishop admitted Sunday it may be on a head-on collision with parties seeking the passage of the reproductive health bill.

Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal made the assessment at the 17th Asia-Pacific Congress on Faith and Family in Makati City.

"The issue not is not about claiming the power to dictate, but the protection of the values that hold our nation together and while the issues than and now may be different, the Church uses the same principles in its courses of action - what the Holy Father (Benedict XVI) calls as 'the ethical foundation of civil discourse," he said in his speech, excerpts of which were posted Sunday afternoon on the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines news site.

DFA: No diplomatic protest over activists' deportation (ABS-CBN News)
MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Foreign Affairs on Monday said it is still too early to say if the deportation of 7 Filipino activists from South Korea calls for the filing of a diplomatic protest.

DFA Spokesman Ed Malaya said he has asked the Philippine Embassy in Seoul to get in touch with Korean immigration authorities and send a formal report in line with the deportation incident.

"First we would like to get that full report from the embassy in Seoul so that we can more carefully study the proposal made by certain quarters that a communication be sent to the Korean government. We would like to know more about this incident so that we can act accordingly," Malaya said.

Another Filipino activist deported from S. Korea (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines - Yet another Filipino activist planning to attend a forum protesting the G-20 summit in Seoul, South Korea was prevented from entering the country over the weekend.

Activist Bernice Coronacion of the Alliance of Progressive Labor was deported from Seoul on Sunday, making her the 7th Filipino activist to be deported from the country this week.

"I felt so sad, pinagtitinginan ako. Actually umiyak nga ako. I'm really scared," Coronacion said in a text message. She added that she was told to wait for almost 2 hours without telling her why she will be sent back to the Philippines.

Noy slashes own intel fund by P184 million (www.philstar.com)

MANILA, Philippines - In line with his administration's austerity measures, President Aquino has decided to cut the intelligence budget of the Office of the President for next year by P184 million, from P4.259 billion  to P4.075 billion.

"This is consistent with our belt-tightening efforts and our desire to cut unprogrammed, unaudited fund sources in the spirit of transparency and fiscal discipline," said Secretary Herminio Coloma of the Presidential Communications Office for Operations.

Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. recommended the cost-cutting measure.

He said it was the same budget that was approved by the appropriations committee at the House of Representatives, which is headed by Mr. Aquino's ally, Cavite Rep. Joseph Emilio Abaya.

In a statement, Ochoa said the Office of the President (OP) has also realigned the money from the Palace intelligence funds and the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission to cover the funding requirements of two new offices.

'100 lawmakers support Deles ouster resolution' (ABS-CBN News)
MANILA, Philippines - The confirmation of Presidential Peace Adviser Teresita Ging Deles may be jeopardized after a resolution calling for her ouster gained more supporters in the House of Representatives, a House minority leader said Monday.

Senior Deputy Minority Leader Danilo Suarez said as many as 100 congressmen from the combined Lakas-Kampi Christian Muslim Democrats, Nacionalista Party and the Nationalist People's Coalition have signed the resolution calling for Deles' ouster.

"It will play a major role. problem definitely for confirmation," he told ABS-CBN News.

Aquino: Floods affect 30,000 families in North Luzon (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines - Floods have now affected 30,018 families in Northeastern Luzon, President Benigno Aquino III said Sunday.

Of these, 3,979 are sheltered in 56 evacuation centers, the President said in a statement posted at gov.ph.

The floods were caused by more than 400 millimeters of rain that fell in the region due to a low pressure area.

He said disaster-response operations in the provinces of Cagayan, Isabela, Quirino, Aurora, Apayao, and Kalinga began November 3 and are still ongoing.

"The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) allocated a total of PHP 15,378,518.25 worth of standby funds, family food packs, and stockpile of relief commodities," the President said. "In addition, a truckload consisting of 2,000 family food packs and 250 boxes of noodles were sent to Tuguegarao City."