[Blueboard] SLB TASK FORCE NOAH ISABELAL Bangon Muli Report and Call for Help

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Nov 8 13:18:45 PHT 2010

SLB TASK FORCE NOAH ISABELA

What has been going on in the past two weeks since the onslaught of super-typhoon Juan? What can we do to help?

IN RETROSPECT

OCTOBER 23: a team from Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan (SLB) embarked on its initial post-disaster assessment and relief operation in Isabela.

SLB delivered sacks of rice bought from NFA to the three coastal towns of Isabela which were affected by super-typhoon Juan. The team also visited Ilagan Isabela which is considered the largest town affected.

OCTOBER 30-31: another team consisting of six Jesuit scholastics and  three Ateneo Law students pushed through with SLB's second and major relief operation in the same area. We extend our gratitude to the Philippine Army and Philippine Navy for providing three M35 trucks to transport relief goods from Robinsons Cabanatuan City to Port Irene Tuguegarao, and a Navy ship to bring the same goods to the coastal towns.  The goods have been entrusted to St. Mary Magdalene Parish of Palanan under Fr. Sam  Salazar, OFM. The parish volunteers are expected to repack the goods which will be distributed to the affected 5,627 families.

HOW CAN YOU HELP

COASTAL TOWNS: Based on our assessment, SLB is planning to continue to extend assistance to the coastal towns of Palanan, Maconacon and  Divilacan which are hardest to reach. We were unable to visit these places since access to these towns is either by helicopter ride across the Sierra Madre, or by a 10-hour boat ride from Baler, Quezon. These  towns were first hit by Juan when the typhoon made a landfall last October 17, 2010.

These coastal towns need food provisions like rice, mongo, dried fish, sugar and coffee. Various concerned groups have also extended their support while the Local Government Unit has secured the food supply in these areas. On the part of SLB, we will give priority treatment to the indigenous peoples and other vulnerable groups living in the affected areas.

ILAGAN ISABELA: For the town of Ilagan, the schools, both primary and secondary, received the worst damage. Attached are the pictures detailing the current state of Isabela National High School. SLB donated 100 pieces of 12x12 tarpaulins to be used as temporary roofing for the classrooms. These will provide a temporary shelter so that classes could resume this month of November. But a more permanent solution would be to provide GI sheets. SLB is currently trying to coordinate with the Department of Education regarding the help the office could extend to augment the efforts of the local and national government.

As of the moment, SLB continues to ask for donations from generous donors. Due to difficulty in transporting relief goods to the affected areas we are humbly asking that donations be made in cash for the sake of efficiency. Kindly send by fax your validated deposit slip at +632 4265968. And for proper acknowledgment please indicate your contact information (name of individual or organization, address, email, landline/mobile).

SIMBAHANG LINGKOD NG BAYAN (Account name/payee)
 Bank of the Philippine Islands, Loyola Katipunan Branch
 BPI PESO Checking Account Number 3081-1111-61
 BPI Dollar Savings Account Number 3084-0420-12

Below is status of the three coastal towns in terms of disaster assessment:

1. Palanan, Isabela: affected 17 barangays; families 3, 419,  individuals 12, 918;
 totally damaged houses 593

2. Divilacan, Isabela: affected 12 barangays; families 1, 178,  individuals 5, 190;
 totall damaged houses 361

3. Maconacon, Isabela: affected 10 barangays; families 1, 030, individuals 5, 532;
 totally damaged houses 556

Let us continue to pray for our country in our efforts to become more united in addressing social issues. Special prayers are offered for the continued rehabilitation and recovery of those places in the north which are still reeling from the onslaught of super-typhoon Juan.

BRO. JOSE MARI V. MANZANO, S.J.
Acting Director
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Manalangin, Manindigan, Makialam.