[Blueboard] Ateneo de Manila University Press

Mary Anne S. San Agustin msanagustin at ateneo.edu
Thu Nov 4 14:16:04 PHT 2010

BOOK OF THE MONTH

Governing the Other: Exploring the Discourse of Democracy in a
Multiverse of Reason
by Agustin Martin G. Rodriguez

The book aims to use a philosophical lens to explore the possibilities
of building a democratic Philippine nation-state, given the diversity
of our people. In this series of reflections, we dialogue with the
work of political scientists, sociologists, and anthropologists who
study Philippine political culture, as well as with advocates of
Philippine democratic reform, in order to reflect on their praxis and
experience . . . [and] hope to articulate the principle of governance
that may bind us as a people with a shared will for the common good.

NEW TITLES

*If I Write You this Poem, Will You Make It Fly
(A book of birds and verse forms)
by Simeon Dumdum Jr.

It is work of imagination, work of art, and work of scholarship, all
three! Most valuable for practicing poets, teachers, the general
public with interest in poetry, bird lovers, environmentalists. It has
wit, it has force?in a word, élan; it has the light and depth of ?our
own scene so fair??our landscape and the bird creatures there which
subtly transfigure in our songs and poems our own thoughts and feelings.
--Gemino H. Abad

*1-800-Philippines: Understanding and Managing
the Filipino Call Center Worker
by Ma. Regina Hechanova-Alampay

This book documents the yearlong research that involved doing
interviews, desktop researches, observations and surveys among call
center workers in the Philippines. It describes the nature of call
center work?both its benefits and the issues raised against it. It
looks at the well-being of workers. It tackles the practice of culture
masquerading and its impact on workers? identity and organization
commitment. It examines the factors that influence burnout and
turnover among workers.

ANNOUNCEMENT

We are pleased to invite you to Ateneo Press?s Christmas book sale!