[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 25 May 2010 Tuesday

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Tue May 25 17:46:22 PHT 2010

Newsbriefs 25 May 2010 Tuesday

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Senate, House convene for national canvass (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines - The House of Representatives and the Senate on Tuesday afternoon convened jointly as the national board of canvassers for the May 10 presidential and vice-presidential elections.

The joint session was opened by House Speaker Prospero Nograles and Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile shortly before 3 p.m..

Before opening discussions on the canvass rules, Enrile read a statement containing a report about the number of certificates of canvass (COCs) received by the Senate, and some issues that, he said, needs to be clarified by officials of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and poll automation supplier Smartmatic-TIM.

Enrile recalled the glitch in the number of registered voters that appeared on the canvassing and consolidation system (CCS), which showed there were 256 million registered voters in the country instead of just 50 million.

      House vows quick canvass (www.philstar.com)

MANILA, Philippines - The House of Representatives is determined to stick to its target date of June 4 for proclaiming the winning president and vice president, but a foul-up in the canvass server might delay the congressional tabulation, Speaker Prospero Nograles said.

"The earlier we finish the canvassing the better for the nation. My target is still June 4. We want to get it over with," he told reporters after presiding over a closed-door caucus of House members.

Name names, dares poll body (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines-The Commission on Elections on Tuesday acknowledged there might be "rotten apples" within the poll body who might have participated in rigging election results, but said these officials must be identified.

Attending the hearing of the House committee on electoral reforms and suffrage, Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said complainants should come out with names of election officials allegedly involved in cheating the first automated elections on May 10.

Lawyer Homobono Adaza and defeated vice mayoralty candidate of Tagaytay City linked Comelec officials to alleged vote rigging, including the purchase of compact flash cards containing manipulated results, but both did not name names.

"We would like to have them named, in an executive session perhaps. It doesn't bring any problem to tell the Comelec that we have rotten apples among us so we invite and we in fact welcome these allegations that people are corruptible in the Comelec, tell us who they are so we can toss them out," Jimenez told reporters.

More 'hocus PCOS' claims raised in House committee hearing (ABS-CBN News)
MANILA, Philippines - Lawyer and former Assemblyman Homobono Adaza appeared before a House probe on alleged poll fraud on Tuesday, insisting the Commission on Elections (Comelec) did not comply with a key provision of the poll automation law.

Adaza said the provision of Republic Act 9369 on digital signature requirement for transmission of Election Returns (ERs) and Certificates of Canvass (COCs) was not followed, so all proclamations should be deemed null and void.

Adaza also bared that a friend of his allegedly knew about 4 Commission on Elections (Comelec) regional directors, one of whom claims to be  the "Garci" scandal operator, who had reportedly been going around soliciting "clients" for their fraud operations in exchange for huge sums of money. In closed session, Adaza revealed the name of his friend to the House committee on suffrage and electoral reforms.

Australian prime minister hails Noynoy (www.philstar.com)

MANILA, Philippines - Australian Prime Minister Kevin Michael Rudd conveyed yesterday his best wishes to president-apparent Sen. Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III as the country's next leader.

Prime Minister Rudd called Aquino at around 4:30 p.m. shortly after the Senate session where the rules for the canvassing of votes for presidential and vice presidential candidates had been finalized and the nine-man panel from the Senate to sit in the National Board of Canvassers had been formed.

"He looked forward to having a very casual conversation to discuss mutual interest, regional security cooperation, and relationship with China. China is the major superpower in the neighborhood," Aquino said.

      Weather hottest in 10 years - Pagasa (www.philstar.com

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said yesterday the country is experiencing its hottest summer in 10 years and weather officials attributed this to the prevailing El Niño phenomenon.

Pagasa administrator Prisco Nilo also said that the warm weather condition is likely to continue until mid-June.

El Niño, a weather phenomenon caused by warmer-than-normal sea-surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean, is characterized by below normal rainfall.

Nilo said Metro Manila has been experiencing temperatures not lower than 36 degrees Celsius in the past several days.

He said it is still possible that the temperature in Metro Manila would reach 38 degrees Celsius this May.