[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 11 May 2010 Tuesday

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Tue May 11 17:57:49 PHT 2010

Newsbriefs 11 May 2010 Tuesday

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Aquino grateful to supporters, backs beleaguered VP bet (INQUIRER.net)

TARLAC CITY, Tarlac - Senator Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III thanked the voters for the "significant lead" he is enjoying in the presidential race but at the same time called for vigilance in ensuring that every vote for his runningmate, Senator Manuel "Mar" Roxas would be counted "fairly and honestly."

"Based on a partial election results, it's clear that I have a significant lead over the next contender in the presidential race. I'm grateful to the Filipino people for the support and to our loyal supporters in our people's campaign who made this achievement possible," Aquino said at a press conference here, reading from a prepared statement, shortly after his rival Senator Manny Villar conceded the presidential race.

"It has been an honor to share this humbling experience with all of you as we begin to accept the responsibility of leading our nation of over 90 million Filipinos. However, our commitment to get integrity from this election was and remains that the vote of each and every Filipino be counted fairly and honestly," he said.

4 presidential bets concede defeat (INQUIRER.net, Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines-(UPDATE 2) A day after the election, four presidential candidates conceded to Senator Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III, currently the frontrunner in the political race that saw over 40 million Filipinos vote electronically for the first time for their leaders in the national and local levels.

Senators Manuel Villar and Richard Gordon, former defense secretary Gilbert Teodoro, and JC de los Reyes of Kapatiran Party issued separate statements giving notice that they were dropping out of the contest and expressed their support for Aquino who was expected to be proclaimed the next president.

Villar and Gordon said that "the people have spoken" and congratulated Aquino on his impending victory.

Arroyo pledges smooth handover to next president (Agence France-Presse)
MANILA, Philippines - President Gloria Arroyo on Tuesday pledged a smooth handover of power to her apparent successor Benigno Aquino -- a former economics students and now one of her fiercest critics.

A day after the country's first automated elections, Arroyo, who is constitutionally barred from seeking reelection, hailed what she said was a free, fair and open vote.

Her chosen successor, former defence secretary Gilberto Teodoro, conceded defeat Tuesday to Aquino, the 50-year-old son of the late former president and democracy icon Corazon Aquino.

Arroyo, 63, ordered her top aide, executive secretary Leandro Mendoza, to form a transition team to work with the election winner for the handover when her six-year term ends on June 30.

"The true hallmark of a strong, functioning democracy is a smooth transition to a new government. The people deserve to have their new leaders put aside politics and focus on the future and the business of governing," she added.

No more partial Comelec tallies (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines-The Commission on Elections will no longer be giving partial tallies of the counting of the first automated polls, the poll body said Tuesday.

In a short press briefing, Comelec Chairman Jose Melo said the poll body has hit the 30 million mark as of Tuesday morning and only has roughly five more million votes to count.

He also noted that the speed of the conduct of the tally of votes has been fast that in some areas, winners were declared in less than 24 hours.

"Mabilis ang resulta, faster than you can say 'Garci,'" Melo said referring to the "Hello Garci" controversy wherein President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo was accused of rigging the 2004 elections.

      10 people killed in poll-related incidents (www.philstar.com)

MANILA, Philippines - At least ten people were reported killed, several others were wounded and eight incidents of explosions nationwide were recorded in the first ever-automated national and local elections yesterday.

Gunmen also ambushed Marine troopers securing official ballots, wounding a soldier, in a remote village of Sumisip town in Isabela City, Basilan.

Senior Superintendent Danilo Constantino, deputy chief of the Philippine National Police-National Operation Center (PNP-NOC), said there was an upsurge of election-related violence on the day of the elections. But while the conduct of the first-ever automated elections were marred by violent incidents, authorities said it was generally orderly and peaceful.