[Blueboard] Invitation to Bioseminar

jbillena at ateneo.edu jbillena at ateneo.edu
Fri Jun 25 15:03:31 PHT 2010

The Department of Biology cordially invites the Ateneo community to a
Bioseminar entitled "Molecular variation of Soybean Mosaic Virus
isolates and characterization of virus-host-vector interactions" on 5
July 2010 (10:30-11:30 am)at Ching Tan Room of the John Gokongwei
School of Management by Kook-Hyung Kim, PhD.

Summary
Soybean mosaic virus (SMV), one of the most common viral pathogens of
soybean, is a member of the genus Potyvirus. We determined complete
sequences of 30 SMV isolates and strains. Together with fourteen
previously reported sequences, we analyzed the genetic diversity and
structure of the SMV population based on ecological relationship.
Interestingly, recombination analyses identified 19 ‘clear’
recombination events in the SMV population. Furthermore, as several
resistance-breaking strains were identified as recombinants, it
appears that recombination might contribute to overcome host
resistance in SMV-soybean pathosystem.

About the speaker
Kook-Hyung Kim, PhD is currently a Full Professor of Agricultural
Biotechnology at Seoul National University. He is an Adjunct Professor
of Plant Pathology at North Carolina State University. He finished his
PhD in Plant Pathology at North Carolina State University.

For more information about the speaker and his research works, pleasse
visit http://plaza3.snu.ac.kr/viruslab.

Any questions?
Jared Billena
local 5611/5613