[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 9 June 2010 Wednesday

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Jun 9 18:25:11 PHT 2010

Newsbriefs 9 June 2010 Wednesday

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Aquino, 15th President of the Philippines (Agence France-Presse, INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines - (UPDATE 2) Senator Benigno Aquino III has been proclaimed as the country's 15th President.

Chorus of cheers hailed from the gallery as Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and Speaker Prospero Nograles proclaimed Aquino and Vice President Jejomar Binay at 3:40 p.m., officially sealing their victory in the May 10 automated elections.

Enrile and Nograles raised the hands of Aquino and Binay shortly after 4 p.m. following a brief break by the two chambers.

Following tradition, Aquino and Binay did not deliver speeches before the plenary. They are expected to hold a news conference after the proclamation ceremonies.

Arroyo to personally congratulate Aquino (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines - President Arroyo is set to personally congratulate President-elect Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III after the latter was proclaimed winner of the May 2010 presidential election.

Executive Secretary Leandro Mendoza said Mrs. Arroyo is still deciding whether to call Aquino on the phone or send an official letter to congratulate her successor.

"She is going to deliver the message on her own. She will have a separate congratulatory message," Mendoza said at a press briefing.

LP respects election results, vows to support Roxas' post-polls decisions (Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines-The Liberal Party will support Senator Mar Roxas in any decision he would make following his loss in the vice presidential race, Senator Francis Pangilinan said Wednesday.

Pangilinan said he was "saddened" by the results in the vice presidential race, which saw Makati City Mayor Jejomar Binay being proclaimed winner by Congress Wednesday.

"We feel a Noy-Mar ticket would have been more consistent with our people's desire to a new direction but we have to respect the results," he said in a phone interview.

Malacañang starts transition process with Noynoy camp (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA, Philippines -  A Malacañang transition team tasked to help usher in the new administration has started informal talks with the camp of President-elect Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III.

Presidential Management Staff (PMS) chief Secretary Elena Bautista-Horn said her group is set to provide a transition blueprint as well as operational and functional reports on the government bureaucracy to the Aquino transition team.

She also reiterated her hopes that the transition team will use the Arlegui mansion as their temporary office. She said the first floor of the 1,400-square meter property may be occupied by the current administration's transition team and the second floor will be reserved for the incoming administration.

Comelec seeks help to sort out poll spending documents (Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines- (UPDATE) The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is seeking outside help to audit the declared election expenditures of political candidates as an official admitted Tuesday that the election body lacked personnel and training to countercheck the data on its own.

Lawyer Ferdinand Rafanan, head of the Comelec law department, said that the commission will enlist the help of non-government organizations and accountants' groups to verify the declared expenses of political candidates this year.

"So far, what we enforce is, did they submit on time? Did they fail to submit or they never submitted? We're up to there. But whether what was submitted is correct, we have not reached that point," Rafanan told reporters.