[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 6 December 2010 Monday

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Dec 6 19:01:56 PHT 2010

Newsbriefs 6 December 2010 Monday

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Council of Churches pushes passage of RH Bill (www.philstar.com)

MANILA, Philippines - A group of religious organizations has urged lawmakers to speed up the passage of the Reproductive Health (RH) bill into law.

Rev. Rex Reyes Jr., secretary-general of the National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP), said the bill is not just about the use of contraceptives but also the promotion of responsible parenthood.

"We should also look at the other (contents) or what is not being said in the RH bill. It's not just about contraceptives. It's basically about responsible parenthood and the responsibility of the State to see to it that all its citizens are given the benefit and the opportunity to lead decent lives as Filipinos," Reyes said.

The NCCP is the largest group of non-Roman Catholic churches in the Philippines.

Among its member-churches are the Apostolic Catholic Church, Convention of Philippine Baptist Churches, Episcopal Church in the Philippines, Iglesia Evangelica Metodista En Las Islas Filipinas, Iglesia Filipina Independiente, Iglesia Unida Ekyumenical, Lutheran Church in the Philippines, the Salvation Army, the United Methodist Church, and the United Church of Christ in the Philippines.

"As a Council we support the spirit of RH bill mainly because it talks about responsible family and giving the right to couples to determine how to plan their family. We have no problem with the spirit of the RH bill. We totally agree with it," Reyes said.

Congress to restore contraceptives budget cuts (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines - The House of Representatives will work to restore the cuts in the budget for contraceptives during the bicameral conference meetings, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. said Monday.

The House and the Senate panels will sit down to reconcile their versions of the budget starting Tuesday.

Last week, the Senate announced that it is slashing the budget of the Department of Health (DoH) for contraceptives from P880 million to a measly P8 million for contraceptive purchase.

PAL union to hold strike vote Dec. 7 (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines-The Philippine Airlines Employees' Association (Palea), the embattled ground crew union of Philippine Airlines (PAL), has delivered its notice of strike vote to the Department of Labor and Employment's National Conciliation and Mediation Board (NCMB) this morning.

In a news release, Palea said the notice signals that it will hold a strike vote tomorrow, December 7, and expects to get the necessary majority support of its members.

Palea leaders delivered a notice of strike vote to the office of NCMB Executive Director Reynaldo Ubaldo at 8:30 a.m. with a copy furnished the Office of the Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz at 8:55 a.m. This means that Palea can proceed with the strike vote from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight tomorrow.

"The strike vote is compliance with the requirements of the law. If management does not desist from harassing Palea members to avail of the separation offer which is tantamount to individual bargaining and therefore illegal then we will be forced to actually hold the strike," warned Gerry Rivera, Palea president and vice chairman of the militant Partido ng Manggagawa (PM).

No P2M for Senator Lacson's arrest-Robredo (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines-(UPDATE) Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo on Monday stood his ground and reiterated that he would not be approving the proposed P2 million reward for the arrest of fugitive Senator Panfilo Lacson, saying he was confident the police would be able to do its job without the bounty.

Robredo also shot down criticisms that he was coddling the at-large senator.

He stressed that he was confident that the Philippine National Police (PNP) would be effective in hunting down Lacson.

"If we would always give bounty so that we could arrest someone running from the law, then we would be suggesting that our law enforcement institutions are not functional," Robredo said.

Palace elated over Aquino's high approval ratings (Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines-Malacañang is elated over the high approval ratings of President Aquino and his Cabinet and said this showed they continued to enjoy the trust of the people and that their "efforts are being seen as fulfilling the President's pledge to fight corruption and reduce poverty."

"While there have been naysayers, the survey is an indication that the President and the public are in harmony as to national goals and the way to pursue reforms needed,'' presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said in a statement issued on Monday.

Aquino sets up P1-billion loan program for returning OFWs (www.gmanews.tv)

To help create business and employment opportunities for returning Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), the Aquino administration will allot P1 billion to fund a loan assistance program for them.

President Benigno Aquino III ordered the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) to allocate a P1-billion "reintegration fund" from which OFWs may borrow to finance the start up of their own businesses.

"Gagamitin po natin ang pondong ito bilang isang epektibong loan program na may magaan na interes (We will use this fund as an effective loan program with a low interest rate)," Aquino said in a speech at the 2010 Model OFW Family of the Year Awards at Hotel Sofitel in Manila.