[Blueboard] SLB Task Force Noah: Lingap Luzon also needs our support

COMM & PR commpr at admu.edu.ph
Wed Oct 14 13:15:37 PHT 2009

The past two weeks saw two typhoons batter our country. Typhoon Ondoy left thousands homeless and desperate in NCR particularly Metro Manila, Region 3, and Region 4. The Ateneo de Manila University DREAM (Disaster REsponse And Management) Team, in partnership with Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan Task Force Noah: Lingap Luzon, put forth Ateneo Task Force Ondoy, of which you have been a very important part. Task Force Ondoy continued for more than a week, having as base of relief operations the College Covered Courts.

Then just as we were trying hard to return slowly to a little sense of normalcy, Typhoon Pepeng struck and ravaged Central and Northern Luzon. Region 3, particularly Pampanga and Zambales, again suffered the most as dam waters had to be released. Until this time, search and rescue operations are still underway for landslide victims in Northern Luzon, Benguet, Ilocos Regions, Tuguegarao, and the Cordilleras. Some of the major highways leading north are still impassable.

As of today, Ateneo Task Force Ondoy, led by the Ateneo DREAM Team, has entered into the "rehabilitation stage" of our relief operations for our partner communities in Metro Manila.

However, we in the SLB Task Force Noah: Lingap Luzon have expanded our reach to help those in the central and northern regions of Luzon. So far, we have reached Dagupan in Pangasinan and Pampanga as well as San Jose, Nueva Ecija. We tried to push for Tuguegarao but the landslides in Sta. Fe forced our team to turn back. In the coming days, we hope to deploy to Baguio, Ilocos Sur, and Cagayan Valley. Our deployment team is composed of Jesuit scholastics, Loyola Mountaineers-Alumni, and other friends.

In order that we are able to hold true to the "donor's intent" when we receive your kind donations, may we request that you e-mail us to which effort you would wish to support - Rehab through "Ateneo Task Force Ondoy" or "SLB Task Force Noah: Lingap Luzon."

We thank you so much, our dear donors, for your kind donations and prayers. We thank you for your trust and confidence in our efforts to reach out to our brothers and sisters who have lost family and home and livelihood to the typhoons.

We continue to pray that, with our efforts, we are able to light our little candles in the midst of these dark times and show that HOPE is never lost. And so we say thank you for allowing our candles to continue burning.

God bless you and your loved ones

In our prayers,

Schol. Ismael Jose V. Chan-Gonzaga, SJ
Executive Director, Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan