[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_AHS boy reflects on Typhoon Ondoy

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Wed Oct 7 13:40:59 PHT 2009

It's October - That Feeling Again
Posted by thepaddlingduck | Four Years | Tuesday 6 October 2009 11:10 pm
Today, October 6, 2009, after a week off from school following the aftermath of Typhoon Ondoy, the Ateneo High School community re-started School Year 2009-2010 with a Eucharistic Celebration. The Mass had several themes, first of which was "Rise, Renew and Rebuild," which was the slogan for the school following the typhoon. A lot had happened over the week, and just like what Main Celebrant, the high school Principal, Fr. RB Hizon, S.J., mentioned in the homily, it was another "start," something that we unusually might've gotten used to, especially following the A(H1N1) epidemic earlier in the year, and one we would have to deal with yet again. What happened over the past week was certainly something that hadn't happened to Metro Manila and the surrounding areas in a long time, and, just like the slogan suggests, there is nothing else we can do other than "rise, renew and rebuild" after Typhoon Ondoy. Fr. Hizon, S.J., also mentioned that the school was to provide the support students would need after the calamity, and this was addressed in the Special Homeroom period and Schola Brevis-style schedule, in which classes met each subject teacher for a short 20-minute period instead of regular schedule for the day, that followed after the Mass. According to Fr. Hizon, S.J., the school's priority for the day was to find out where it could help its students the most, and that's what called for the special Mass and schedule. He also expressed thanksgiving and gratitude for seeing all of us safe and sound and back in school again, a sentiment echoed by many of the subject teachers, administration, and staff.

Personally, as a high school student in my senior year, having yet another ...READ MORE @ http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/?p=745

***

www.ateneo.edu
http://150.ateneo.edu/blog