[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Didith Rodrigo on trust issues

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:25:47 PHT 2009

Trust issues
Posted by didith | Plausible Deniability | Monday 5 October 2009 7:40 pm
Shortly after Typhoon Ondoy struck, Dr. Cuyegkeng convened the Vice-President's Council to decide what to do about what has to be one of the worst sems in recent history.  (If you consider that we began the sem with H1N1, ended it with Ondoy and had the death of Cory, etc. in between, yeah, this sem is a real low point in terms of academic outcomes.)  After much consideration, the council decided that we would switch from traditional academics to an alternative class mode. This means a doing away, for now, of the usual academic requirements and a reorientation towards processing and, in this case, rebuilding. The memo was quite clear:  student grades would be based on current class standing. Students who need to raise their grades can opt to do extra work.

Before I go on, let me just say that there is a precedent for this decision.  Back in 1986, the snap elections and subsequent revolution caused major disruptions in class.  When it was all over, there was simply no going back to business as usual.  We spent the remainder of the sem processing the experience, pondering its historical significance, and thinking of ways to preserve our new democracy.

I'm sure that, back in '86, the decision to go alternative was as difficult-maybe more so-than it was in 09.  The idea of no final exams, no more requirements, etc. shakes academics at their core.  That's like telling...READ MORE @ http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/?p=741

***

www.ateneo.edu
http://150.ateneo.edu/blog
www.facebook.com/ateneodemanila