[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 25 November 2009 Wednesday

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Nov 25 16:52:20 PHT 2009

Newsbriefs 25 November 2009 Wednesday

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Arroyo ally top suspect in massacre-police (Agence France-Presse)

MANILA, Philippines - (UPDATE) Police on Wednesday named a political ally of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo as the prime suspect in an election-linked massacre of at least 46 people.

"According to the initial reports, those who were abducted and murdered at Saniag were initially stopped by a group led by the mayor of Datu Unsay," national police spokesman Chief Superintendent Leonardo Espina said.

Arroyo vows justice in massacre (Agence France-Presse)

MANILA, Philippines - President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Wednesday vowed justice would be served after an election-linked massacre that claimed at least 46 lives was blamed on a political ally.

"The President is really very angry about this incident," presidential spokesman Cerge Remonde said on the ABS-CBN television network.

"The President is very clear that those people responsible, regardless of who they are, should be brought before the bar of justice."

Ampatuan: Let's not speculate (www.philstar.com)

MANILA, Philippines - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Gov. Zaldy Ampatuan appealed yesterday to Maguindanao's Christian and Muslim communities not to speculate on the circumstances surrounding Monday's massacre in Barangay Salman in Ampatuan town and instead allow authorities to finish their investigation and identify the culprits as well as the real motive for the attack.

"We need to give the Philippine National Police ample time to finish its investigation on this incident. Meantime, we need to avoid speculations. We have to listen to reason, not to emotions," Ampatuan said in an emailed statement.

"We in the ARMM have complete trust and confidence in the PNP," Ampatuan said.

Dureza meeting with Ampatuans questioned (Inquirer Mindanao)

DAVAO CITY, Philippines -- Is the government being soft on the suspects in the carnage in Maguindanao believed to have been perpetrated by the influential Ampatuan clan, a major ally of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo?

"What gives?" asked lawyer Carlos Isagani Zarate, secretary general of the Union of Peoples Lawyers in Mindanao after learning about the meeting between Jesus Dureza, the presidential adviser on Mindanao, and the Ampatuan family.

Dureza met with the Ampatuans in Shariff Aguak town in Maguindanao on Tuesday afternoon.

Senate probe on Maguindanao massacre sought (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines - Two senators sought on Wednesday a congressional inquiry into what they described as "unparalleled and gruesome" massacre of more than 40 persons in Maguindanao province.

Senate Resolution 1491 filed by Senators Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III and Manuel "Mar" Roxas also expressed "the sense of the Senate condemning in the strongest possible terms the brutal and inhuman election-related massacre and carnage of innocent civilians in the Maguindanao province."

"And likewise, directing the appropriate Senate committees to conduct an inquiry, in aid of legislation, into this unparalleled and gruesome incident, with the end view of proposing legislative measures that would effectively promote lasting peace and prosperity in Mindanao," said the resolution.

Carnage sows fear among Maguindanao prosecutors (www.gmanews.tv)

Last Monday's mass slaughter in Maguindanao has produced a chilling effect on provincial government prosecutors who fear that they might suffer the same fate of the 46 civilians massacred by suspected militiamen of the powerful Ampatuan clan, Justice Secretary Agnes Devanadera admitted on Wednesday.

"Di sila makagalaw. Takot sila. Sa dami ng napatay na yan, ayaw nila magsibalik sa Maguindanao. Kaya ang ginawa namin, hindi taga-Maguindanao ang aming naka-standby na prosecutor doon," Devanadera told radio dzBB.

Mangyan protester appeals to Arroyo: Spare Mindoro from destruction (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines-A "hungry and weak" Mangyan protester has appealed to President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to spare Mindoro island from environmental destruction and revoke the mining clearance of Norway-based Intex Resources.

In an open letter written in a native Mangyan dialect and script, Ponyon Kadlos, coordinator of the Kapulungan Para sa Lupaing Ninuno (KPLN), told President Arroyo that "our whole life is at risk" if the mountains of Mindoro will be dug for nickel ore.

"Kanmi sagradong lugay ay madaot din. Kami ay mapapalayas ginan sa kanmi daga, ag ti kalikasan ay madaot. (Our sacred land will be ruined. We will be displaced from our ancestral domain and the environment will be devastated)," Kadlos said.