[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Queena Lee Chua on effort vs talent

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Tue Nov 10 12:05:55 PHT 2009

Effort Rather than Talent
Posted by queena | Magis, Uncategorized | Saturday 7 November 2009 4:58 pm
I have been receiving some comments re an earlier post, on the necessity for today's kids to be more resilient.  Good parenting is essential for this - and shockingly, past research has been wrong on several counts, notably on ways of raising self-esteem.

In the bestseller "Nurture Shock" Po Bronson quotes from Carol Dweck, a respected psychologist who has studied the effects of praise for decades.  Last month I wrote a column in the Philippine Daily Inquirer on the book - here are pertinent excerpts:

How do we motivate children to succeed?  Experts say...READ MORE @ http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/?p=792

***

Our 15-day countdown to the Sesquicentennial starts on Nov. 25! View the complete schedule of activities at http://www.ateneo.edu/index.php?p=120&type=2&sec=40&aid=6599

***