[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Why the new ASoG building was named after the late Fr. Pacifico Ortiz, SJ

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Tue May 19 08:44:47 PHT 2009

Why the new ASoG building was named after the late Fr. Pacifico Ortiz, SJ ?
Posted by admin | Admin | Friday 15 May 2009 10:12 am

Fr. Felix Unson, SJ emailed recently to share his thoughts on the article "Alumni Relations, School of Government settle into their new homes". (http://ateneo.edu/index.php?p=120&type=2&aid=6442) In his email, he shared a very interesting story on why the Ortiz Hall, which houses the Ateneo School of Government (ASoG), was named after Fr. Pacifico Ortiz, SJ, Ateneo president from 1969 until 1970. We thank Fr. Unson for sharing this story with us.

I wonder if you asked why Father Ortiz was only one year as Ateneo president.  Well, he ran as a delegate in the l970 Constitutional Convention together with illustrious people like Raul Manglapuz, Tito Guingona , Soc Rodrigo and a host of many nationalists and upright men but Marcos scuttled the results of the Convention and declared an abrupt ending. Someday someone will hopefully write the true story but Fr. Ortiz died of a stroke in l983 without seeing the liberation of the Philippines from the dictator.

Fr. Ortiz was a diocesan priest ordained in...READ MORE @ http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/?p=387