[Blueboard] Information on H1N1 Influenza

LS Health Service Office lshealth at admu.edu.ph
Mon May 18 12:06:37 PHT 2009

Dear Webmaster,

Please post to all blueboard subscribers

Dr. Baquiran, Director, LSHS

To the Ateneo de Manila Community:

The Loyola Schools Office of Health Services would like to share with
you the following public health information on the H1N1 (swine flu)
Influenza from our Department of Health (The pdf file of the
information below is also attached.)

What is Influenza A (H1N1)?

> Influenza A(N1H1) is caused by a novel virus that resulted from the
> reassortment of 4 viruses from pigs, human and birds.
> It is a new virus causing illness in people that may lead to death.
> It was first detected in April 2009 in the United States.
> This virus is spreading from person-to-person, probably in much the same
way that regular seasonal influenza viruses spread.
> There is no vaccine yet to protect humans from this virus.
> But there are existing and recommended medicines that are
effective in treating these Influenza A(H1N1).

What are the signs and symptoms in humans?

Signs and symptoms are similar to that of the regular flu such as
> Fever
> Headache
> Fatigue
> Muscle or joint pains
> Lack of appetite
> Runny nose
> Sore throat
> Cough
> Some cases have reported having
diarrhea, nausea or vomiting

What is the mode of transmission of Influenza A (H1N1)?

> Exposure to droplets from the cough and sneeze of the infected person.
> By touching your mouth, nose or eyes after you got in contact with
contaminated object and infected person.

Influenza A(H1N1) is not transmitted by eating thoroughly cooked pork.

What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?

> Cover your nose and mouthwhen coughing and sneezing.
> Always wash hands with soap and water.
> Use alcohol- based hand sanitizers.
> Avoid close contact with sick people.
> Increase your body?s resistance
       o Have at least 8 hours of sleep
       o Be physically active
       o Manage your stress
       o Drink plenty of fluids
       o Eat nutritious food

What to do if there is a sick person at home?

> Immediately bring the sick person to a doctor.
> Provide a separate room in the house. If this is not possible, keep
> the patient at least 1 meter away from other family members.
> Use surgical mask when caring for the sick person.
> Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly after each contact
> with the sick person.
> Have proper ventilation where the sick person stays.
> Keep the environment clean.

Additional information on H1N1 can be obtained from the following web
sites of the DOH and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention:

http://www.doh.gov.ph/h1n1/
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm
http://www.pandemicflu.gov/index.html

--