[Blueboard] Think Sesqui!, 15 May 2009

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Fri May 15 15:29:40 PHT 2009

Think Sesqui!

Weekly e-newsletter about the Ateneo Sesquicentennial celebration

News and Updates

Where in Intramuros are the Ateneo Municipal de Manila and the Old San Ignacio Church?

Pete Ampil (HS 1957) emailed to ask where in Intramuros are the former Ateneo Municipal de Manila and the Old San Ignacio Church located. "I was reading the Sesquicentennial ad and had always wanted to know," he said. The answer: The Ateneo Municipal de Manila is on Anda Street, while the old San Ignacio Church is just across Sta. Lucia Street.

Want to see these historic sights for yourselves? Join us at the Sesquicentennial kick-off on June 14, 2009, Sunday, beginning with a mass at the Manila Cathedral to be led by His Eminence Gaudencio B. Cardinal Rosales, Archbishop of Manila. This will be followed by a procession at the Old San Ignacio Church and a motorcade around the former Ateneo Municipal de Manila, former Padre Faura campus, Salcedo and Rockwell campuses in Makati City, Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health in Pasig City and the Loyola Heights campus in Quezon City. Be there!

 'Ateneo of Yesteryears' winner for this week!

Congratulations to Joselito "Donnie" Gallardo (AB Economics 1958) who sent a photo of the program for the sold out concert of "Nightmares", a rock-and-roll group formed in 1956-1957 by the Glee Club members of class AB 1958. According to Donnie, "Nightmares" was the first ever rock group not only in Ateneo but in Manila during that time.  The group performed at intermissions in Glee Club Concerts, on campus and off-campus events, and even private parties.

"On its senior year the class organized the Nightmares concert for November 27, 1957, which became Manila's hottest ticket for that weekend. With the sold-out concert ticket sales SrAB-58 was well on its way to winning the 1957-58 ACIL Christmas Package Drive," he said.

***
If you have Ateneo memorabilia such as old photos of buildings or people, as well as old report cards, certificates, stampitas, rosaries, notebooks, uniforms, or anything related to the Ateneo of yesteryears, share them with us and the rest of the Ateneo community for a quick peek into our University's rich history and memories. Every week, we will pick the oldest item submitted and winners will be posted at the Sesquicentennial web site http://150.ateneo.edu. Lucky senders will win a special Sesquicentennial souvenir item. Truly noteworthy and rare items will be featured at a special exhibit during the Sesqui kick off. Email your submissions to 150 at ateneo.edu or commpr at admu.edu.ph with the subject heading "Ateneo of Yesteryears." Please include your name, course and year graduated, and contact numbers (landline, mobile and home address).

Poll

The Sesqui commemorative item that I can't wait to have is:

v  "The Ateneo Watch" by Swatch

v  Immaculate Conception Replica by Sajid Imao

v  "150: The Ateneo Way" coffee table book by Fr. Jose Arcilla, SJ

v  Commemorative Medal

v  Commemorative Stamp

Cast your vote at http://150.ateneo.edu/blog (left panel)

>From the Sesqui Blog

You know you're getting old when. you race out of your office for a meeting. Half-way out of the building you call your secretary and ask, "Where am I going?"

                --from Didith Rodrigo's blog entry "Getting Old", http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/

*Want to know more about the Sesqui? Visit http://150.ateneo.edu.

**For comments and suggestions, email 150-AT-ateneo-DOT-edu or commpr-AT-admu-DOT-edu-DOT-ph.