[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Didith Rodrigo on the sound of silence

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Wed Mar 11 16:35:05 PHT 2009

The sound of silence
Posted by didith | Plausible Deniability | Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:04 pm
When my term as Chair of DISCS ended last year, one of the most immediate, palpable changes that accompanied the transition was silence.  No one outside of my students or research partners emailed me.  No one called me.  No one yanked me into meetings.  No one was knocking on my office door asking, the world's most rhetorical question: "Are you busy?"  Large chunks of my days and evenings were suddenly free.  With the persona of Chair gone, so too were its million and one distractions.

As Chair, if there was anything you cared about-your classes, your research-you had to fight for the time to attend to it.  You had to block off hours in the day or maybe even days in the week, because in the same way that nature abhors a vacuum, any unallocated time was very quickly consumed by something. And there was always something. There were afternoons when I would walk up to Lisa, our Department secretary, and ask, "The day is over-what have I accomplished?"  The time must have gone somewhere, but the problem with multitasking is you're never really sure where. Then, suddenly, it was over.  The noise just stopped.

The delight of this new-found silence was...Read on.

About the Sesqui Blog:

This is the first team blog about the Ateneo de Manila University's Sesquicentennial, or 150th anniversary. This is a blog by Ateneans for Ateneans who have been part of this great institution's rich and proud history. We may not all share the same memories across generations and historical eras, but we certainly share the same enduring spirituality, vision and passion, channeled through excellence in one's chosen field, and service to country, community and the other.

Welcome then to all our happy, sad, mundane, ethereal, trivial , profound, etc. chronicles.

http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/