[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Hilda Abola on the San Ignacio Church in Intramuros

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Mon Jun 15 09:05:16 PHT 2009

Like the phoenix
Posted by Hilda | My Glass Eye | Thursday 11 June 2009 10:18 am
Revised from an entry originally posted in My Manila on June 7, 2009

This is all that remains of the San Ignacio Church in Intramuros, the sueño dorado (golden dream) of the Spanish Jesuits when they returned to Manila in 1859 after an absence of almost one hundred years. Inaugurated in 1889, the church survived the battles during the Spanish-American war period and a big fire in 1932 that destroyed the adjoining school building of the Ateneo de Manila. In February 1945, the Japanese put the church to the torch and because all the interior details and furniture were made of hardwoods, it took four days for the fire to consume everything. The church is lost forever, but back in September 2008, the Intramuros Administration announced its plans to build an ecclesiastical museum amid the ruins of the San Ignacio. With the assistance of the Department of Tourism and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, the project is finally pushing through. The groundbreaking ceremony for the new museum will be on Sunday, June 14, during our Grand Sesquicentennial Kick-off Celebration. See you all there! VIEW PHOTO @ http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/?p=492