[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_The Ibong Adarna from ACT's "Adarna at Ang Alaala ng Kristal"

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Thu Feb 19 09:57:30 PHT 2009

Ibong Adarna
Posted by Hilda | My Glass Eye | Tuesday 17 February 2009 12:03 pm
Revised from an entry originally posted in My Manila on February 3, 2009

As the Ateneo Grade School's contribution to the Sesquicentennial celebrations, the Ateneo Children's Theater (ACT) staged "Adarna at ang Alaala ng Kristal" during the last week of January and first week of February. Indy film-maker and Ateneo alumnus Khavn de la Cruz rewrote the less-well-known second part of the beloved korido "Ang Ibong Adarna" into a musical especially for ACT. The set, lighting and costume designs were fabulous-this photo of the Ibong Adarna in the small platform which represented either a small grove or an entire forest throughout the play is but an example. But even more than the sets and costumes, what truly amazed me were the young grade schoolers reciting and singing the beautiful but difficult archaic Tagalog lines.

You can read more about the production here and here, and Khavn's foreword to his play here.

About the Sesqui Blog:

This is the first team blog about the Ateneo de Manila University's Sesquicentennial, or 150th anniversary. This is a blog by Ateneans for Ateneans who have been part of this great institution's rich and proud history. We may not all share the same memories across generations and historical eras, but we certainly share the same enduring spirituality, vision and passion, channeled through excellence in one's chosen field, and service to country, community and the other.

Welcome then to all our happy, sad, mundane, ethereal, trivial , profound, etc. chronicles.

http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/