[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Didith Rodrigo on the work ahead

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Mon Feb 16 09:14:27 PHT 2009

The work ahead
Posted by didith | Plausible Deniability | Sunday 15 February 2009 3:13 am
My visit to Pittsburgh is winding down.  I have, I estimate, two productive weeks left, afterwhich my attention will switch to moving back home.  My collaborator, Ryan Baker, asked if the visit was worthwhile.  It was, most definitely.  We had a decent amount of output.  I learned a lot.  Did I accomplish everything I set out to accomplish?  Nope.  Not by a longshot.  There was just so much more to learn and so much more to do.  People stay here their entire lives.  Five months is really just the warm-up.

And I guess it is good to treat the five months that way.  I head home with lots of very inspiring work to do.  I am working on getting a research license for CMU's Reading Tutor, an intelligent tutoring system that literally listens to children read.  When the reader has difficulty with a word, the tutor automatically pronounces the word for the reader.  The reader can click on the word for additional help.  The tutor provides this help in a variety of ways: by sounding out the phonemes that make up the word (e.g. "c-at, c-at, cat"), by providing a "sounds like" (e.g. "cat sounds like hat").  The tutor is intended for children who have difficulty reading.  More information about Project Listen and the Reading Tutor is available online.

The other thing is that Ryan and I would like to test...Read on.

About the Sesqui Blog:

This is the first team blog about the Ateneo de Manila University's Sesquicentennial, or 150th anniversary. This is a blog by Ateneans for Ateneans who have been part of this great institution's rich and proud history. We may not all share the same memories across generations and historical eras, but we certainly share the same enduring spirituality, vision and passion, channeled through excellence in one's chosen field, and service to country, community and the other.

Welcome then to all our happy, sad, mundane, ethereal, trivial , profound, etc. chronicles.

http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/