[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Queena Lee-Chua asks, "Raising wimps?"

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Wed Feb 4 15:02:15 PHT 2009

Raising Wimps?
Posted by queena | Magis | Wednesday 4 February 2009 1:19 pm
Kids today need resilience, but according to some psychology research, parental hyperconcern is making children more fragile today.  Faced with stress, problems, or just plain everyday stressors, they break down "in record numbers."

Psychology Today ran an article in 2004, which is still relevant-perhaps even more so-these days.  In "A Nation of Wimps," Hara Estroff Marano takes parents to task for sheltering their children too much from the ordinary strains and storms of life.  We all know parents who call teachers to protest their kids' low grades, parents who sanitize all forms of play, parents who ensure that their children become endless adolescents.

Of course good parents want what's best for their kids.  "But taking all the discomfort, disappointment and even the play out of development, especially while increasing pressure for success, turns out to be misguided by just about 180 degrees," says Marano.  "With few challenges all their own, kids are unable to forge their creative adaptations to the normal vicissitudes of life.  That not only makes them risk-averse, it makes them...Read on.

About the Sesqui Blog:

This is the first team blog about the Ateneo de Manila University's Sesquicentennial, or 150th anniversary. This is a blog by Ateneans for Ateneans who have been part of this great institution's rich and proud history. We may not all share the same memories across generations and historical eras, but we certainly share the same enduring spirituality, vision and passion, channeled through excellence in one's chosen field, and service to country, community and the other.

Welcome then to all our happy, sad, mundane, ethereal, trivial , profound, etc. chronicles.

http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/