[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 27 August 2009 Thursday

SLB slb at admu.edu.ph
Thu Aug 27 17:20:36 PHT 2009

Newsbriefs 27 August 2009 Thursday

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

RP AVOIDS RECESSESION (Agence France-Presse; Reuters)
MANILA - Government spending on construction helped boost the Philippine economy, a senior official said Thursday, as data showed it grew 1.5% year on year in the second quarter.

Although the figure was down on the 4.2% growth recorded at the same period last year, it is an improvement on the revised 0.6% seen in the previous three months.

In the first six months, the economy expanded 1% year on year, well below the 3.8% seen in the first half of 2008.

"The economic resiliency plan of the government boosted construction consumption (growth) to 9.1% from zero growth in (the same period in) 2008," National Statistical Coordination Board chief Romulo Virola told a news conference.

ESTRADA, LACSON MAINTAIN INNOCENCE ON DACER CASE (www.gmanews.tv)

The two key personalities implicated in the November 2000 killing of publicist Salvador "Bubby" Dacer and driver Emmanuel Corbito have once again strongly denied masterminding the crime.

Former President Joseph Estrada and Senator Panfilo Lacson on Thursday denied former police Senior Superintendent Cezar Mancao II's testimony that they ordered Dacer killed. Corbito was said to have been killed along with his boss so that there will be no witness to the crime.

Estrada said Malacañang had resurrected the 9-year-old case because he had recently been among the front-runners in surveys on the most-preferred presidential aspirants.

SALONGA: LIBERAL PARTY CONVENTION TO DECIDE 2010 TANDEM (www.philstar.com)

MANILA, Philippines - Former Senate president Jovito Salonga wants the Liberal Party (LP) to hold a convention to choose the party's standard-bearer in next year's presidential race.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, the 89-year-old LP chairman emeritus said the choice between Senators Manuel Roxas II and Benigno Aquino III should go through the process to unify the LP.

"I feel there will be true unity in the LP if we discuss this thoroughly within the party," he said.

LAWMAKERS ' 2010 PORK SLASHED BIG (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA - Former Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ralph Recto said Thursday that the senators' and congressmen's pork barrel were among the items in the P1.54-trillion 2010 proposed budget that were slashed to accommodate higher deficit next year.

Recto said that from P70 million, each congressmen would receive P40 million, while senators will only receive P100 million each, or half of their P200 million pork barrel.

"We expect a bigger deficit next year. We looked for ways on how to cut our debt, and one of them is [cutting in half] the pork barrel of senators and congressmen," Recto told ABS-CBN's Umagang Kay Ganda.