[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 26 August 2009 Wednesday
slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Aug 26 16:55:38 PHT 2009
Newsbriefs 26 August 2009 Wednesday
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
HOUSE COMMITTEE OK's CON-CON (abs-cbnNEWS.com/Newsbreak)
MANILA - Voting 6-1, the House committee on constitutional amendments approved on Tuesday afternoon a consolidated resolution calling for a Constitutional convention (Con-con), whose delegates will be elected in the 2010 elections.
"Whereas, calling for a Consitutional Convention to propose amendments to the Constitution is the least divisive and the most transparent, exhaustive and democratic means of implementing constitutional reforms, among the three modes of amending the Constitution as provided under Sections 1 and 2, Article XVII of the 1987 Constitution," says the unnumbered concurrent resolution given to House reporters on Wednesday.
"Whereas, to dispel fears of promoting any vested interests among the incumbent elected officials and to defray the cost of a separate election for delegates to the Constitutional Convention, it shall be conducted simultaneously with the May 10, 2010 elections. The process of amending the Constitution shall only take place thereafter," it adds.
REGISTRATION CAMPAIGN INTENSIFIED (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines-Interest in next year's national and local elections is high, according to poll observers, but the number of people registering to vote does not appear to match the enthusiasm.
With only nine weeks before the Oct. 31 deadline for registration, volunteer groups drumming up support for the exercise said the number of new registrants had so far been too low for comfort, raising fears of voters' disenfranchisement.
According to the Commission on Elections (Comelec), around 2.65 million new voters had been registered since registration started in December until July.
The Comelec said there were 45 million voters registered in the 2007 elections and that it expected an additional 3 million new voters next year.
PALACE DOWNPLAYS VILLAR LEAD IN SURVEY (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang has downplayed the Pulse Asia survey results showing Senator Manuel Villar Jr. leading in voter preference among more than a dozen presidential aspirants and Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro at the bottom.
"Surveys are surveys. It helps as a guide, but it is not all," Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita told reporters in a briefing Wednesday.
PALACE SENDS P 1.54 T BUDGET TO HOUSE (INQUIRER.net)
MANILA, Philippines - (UPDATE) Malacañang has submitted the proposed P1.54 trillion budget for 2010 to the House of Representatives Wednesday.
Speaker Prospero Nograles received the copy of the appropriation from, Budget Secretary Rolando Andaya.
Andaya said the budget consisted of heavy spending for social services, health, infrastructure, and education.
HOUSE APPROVES ANTI-CHILD PORN BILL (www.philstar.com)
MANILA, Philippines - The House of Representatives, in a unanimous vote, approved yesterday on third and final reading the anti-child pornography bill that will prosecute and penalize pedophiles, pornographers, and operators of cyber-sex dens and Internet cafés who prey on children.
Tarlac Rep. Monica "Nikki" Prieto-Teodoro, one of the authors of the bill, hailed the passage of House Bill 6440, otherwise known as the Anti-Child Pornography Act of 2009, that "would take legal action on violators and provide a deterrent to would-be offenders."
"We must protect our children. We must not allow their abuse and exploitation. It's about time that we apprehend and prosecute these child pornography propagators and pedophiles," Teodoro said.
SUPREME COURT STOPS CONFERMENT OF 2009 NATIONAL ARTIST AWARDS (www.philstar.com)
MANILA, Philippines - The Supreme Court (SC) stopped yesterday the conferment of National Artist Awards on seven individuals and Malacañang has vowed to honor the injunction.
Press Secretary Cerge Remonde said the Palace always abides by the SC's decisions.
In seeking the injunction, several National Artists and other concerned parties asked the SC to define the President's discretion naming awardees to the Order of the National Artist.
ARROYO STICKING TO HER PICKS OF NAT'L ARTISTS (www.gmanews.tv)
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo will stick to her choices of this year's National Artists unless the Supreme Court says she has to reconsider her picks, a Palace official said Wednesday.
On the heels of the Supreme Court's order stopping Mrs. Arroyo from conferring the prestigious titles, Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said Malacañang is confident that the court would keep in mind that the President has the prerogative to choose National Artist awardees.
"We believe in the primacy of the authority of the President as the one mandated by law to make the final choice. For as long as there's nothing illegal done, I think the President has the authority," Ermita said in a press briefing.
More information about the Blueboard