[Blueboard] Japanese Immigrants in the Philippines

lyjose at ateneo.edu lyjose at ateneo.edu
Wed Aug 26 10:03:03 PHT 2009

Thank you for posting

------

Dear Colleagues,

DAWN-JAPAN, who assists children of Japanese-Filipino parents, will
visit Ateneo this week as part of its annual study tour in the
Philippines. The study-tour organizers  asked me to give a lecture to
them on the Japanese immigrants in the Philippines before World War
II. Yes, they know that while there has been an influx of Filipinos to
Japan since the 1980s, there was an influx of Japanese to the
Philippines between the 1920s and the '40s.

I would like to invite you to join DAWN-JAPAN in an exchange of ideas
about this. We scheduled the sub-topics as follows:

August 28 (Friday):
2:30-3:20: Overview (From a trickle of them to prosperity, and finally
destruction because of WWII)

3:30- 4:20: Why and how they came to the Philippines. Is it true that
there were military spies among them?

4:30- 5:20: Economic activities in the Philipines

See you on Friday at LH 206 (second floor, Ricardo and Dr. Rosita Leong Hall).

Lydia N. Yu Jose,Ph.D.
Director, Ateneo Center for Asian Studies
Professor, Department of Political Science