[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 12 August 2009 Wednesday
slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Aug 12 16:50:56 PHT 2009
Newsbriefs 12 August 2009 Wednesday
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
BISHOP STILL IRKED OVER LE CIRQUE DINNER (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines-Malacañang may have refused to apologize for the $20,000 dinner of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and her entourage at the ritzy Le Cirque in New York, but Catholic bishops are not letting the issue die down.
Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo, who champions the cause of landless farmers, Tuesday called on Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez, who purportedly picked up the tab, to donate the amount (or close to P1 million) to the impoverished.
"We can challenge those who paid for the dinner to also give the same amount to feed the poor," Pabillo said.
OMBUDSMAN URGED TO PROBE CONTROVERSIAL NY DINNER (www.gmanews.tv)
Amid finger-pointing among some government officials, a lawmaker on Wednesday asked the Office of the Ombudsman to investigate the controversial $20,000 dinner President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and her entourage had in a posh New York restaurant last week.
In his two-page letter of complaint, Akbayan Rep. Walden Bello said Ombudsman Ma. Merceditas Gutierrez must look into the issue as public officials embroiled in the controversy may be held liable for violating several laws, including Republic Act 6713 or the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees, the Revised Penal Code, and Presidential Decree 46 which makes it punishable for public officials and employees to receive gifts on any occasion.
Bello said the "astounding" cost of the dinner "raises a clear possibility" that Section 4h of RA 6713, which states that "public officials shall lead modest lives appropriate to their positions and income" and that "they shall not engage in extravagant or ostentatious displays of wealth," was violated.
"In no way can such a level of expenditure be characterized as 'modest'," he said.
RECTO QUITS ARROYO CABINET (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines-Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ralph Recto is resigning from the Cabinet effective Aug. 16 to prepare for next year's senatorial elections, Malacañang officials said Tuesday.
"He's running for senator, and he wants to prepare early enough," Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said in a phone interview, quoting Presidential Political Adviser Gabriel Claudio.
COURT STOPS DND FROM REBIDDING AMMO CONTRACT (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
MANILA - The military's ammunition supply problems have gone from bad to worse.
A Quezon City Regional Trial Court judge has stopped the Department of National Defense (DND) from re-bidding a billion-peso contract involving the acquisition of 40 mm, 60 mm, and 81 mm ammunitions.
In an order dated August 4, Judge Marie Christine Jacob found merit in the petition to stop the DND from re-bidding the ammunitions contracts earlier won by Talon Security Consulting and Trade Ltd. in a competitive bidding.
Talon sought the court's intervention after Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro scrapped the recommendation of the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) to give the contracts to the firm.
The BAC had found Talon the "lowest calculated and responsive bidder" for the three ammunitions contract but Teodoro, on the say so of DND Undersecretary for Finance and Armed Forces Modernization Affairs Antonio Romero, declared a failure of bidding.
GUINNES BOOK SLOT EYED FOR CORY HONOR GUARD (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines-The Philippine National Police is pushing the hype over the "motionless" cop one step further.
After rewarding him with cash and a promotion, the PNP will try to get worldwide recognition for Police Officer 2 Danilo Malab Jr. for his service as an honor guard during last week's funeral march for former President Corazon Aquino.
The PNP has asked the Guinness Book of World Records to cite Malab's feat of standing still for almost nine hours without food or rest on the adorned truck that brought Aquino's casket to the cemetery on Aug. 5.
HOSPITALS TO GO BANKCRUPT IF GOVERNMENT INSISTS ON DRUG PRICES CUT - PHAP (www.philstar.com)
MANILA, Philippines - Private hospitals will "go bankrupt" if the government insists on implementing Executive Order 821 cutting the prices of 43 types of medicine on Saturday, according to Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines (PHAP).
Bu Castro, PHAP legal counsel, said hospital pharmacies need at least six months to dispose of medicine stocks bought earlier at a higher price.
"We are not blackmailing them, but that's what will happen if they don't defer the implementation of the order," he said.
4 BIG HOSPITALS WON'T JOIN 'HOLIDAY' (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines-At least four private hospitals in Metro Manila said they would not join a "hospital holiday" being planned by a group of private hospitals to protest the start of price control on five essential medicines on Aug. 15
Officials of the privately-owned Makati Medical Center, Medical City, St. Luke's Hospital and University of Sto. Tomas Hospital Tuesday assured the Department of Health (DoH) that they had no problem with the implementation of the presidential order setting the maximum retail price starting Aug. 15.
Over the weekend, representatives of the Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines (PHAP) threatened to stage a "hospital holiday," meaning they would only accept emergency cases during the period of protest.
More information about the Blueboard