[Blueboard] From the Sesqui Blog_Flashback to 1986

Michelle Camille Correa mcorrea at ateneo.edu
Fri Aug 7 10:12:54 PHT 2009

Flashback to 1986
Posted by didith | Plausible Deniability | Wednesday 5 August 2009 8:45 am
In school year 1985-1986, I was an Ateneo computer science sophomore.  The months leading to the snap election were so impassioned that even stereotypical academics-oriented, politically apathetic geeks such as myself had to find our own ways of expressing the sentiment, "Sobra na! Tama na! Palitan na!".  We weren't the type to join rallies or carry placards, though.  So, we wondered, was there a form of expression that was native to our skillset?

The opportunity came with a call for volunteers to encode voters lists.  (Yeah, ok, so it was pretty basic work, but at least there were electronics involved, right?) I don't remember which organization asked for help but I'm guessing it was Namfrel.  A group of us from the computer org formerly known as ASCII, now known as CompSAt, hied off to the Negros Navigation building along Pasay Road for to exercise our touch-typing skills.

The experience was eye-opening for me.  I had heard of...READ MORE @ http://150.ateneo.edu/blog/?p=631

***

www.ateneo.edu
http://150.ateneo.edu/blog