[Blueboard] The Meaning of Service: On the 2007 University Service Awardees

Maricor E. Baytion mbaytion at ateneo.edu
Wed Nov 26 15:26:17 PHT 2008

When the University?s employees are honored and recognized for their
years of service it is always a happy and special occasion. One of
2007?s service awardees said that he always makes it a point to go to
this annual event because ?it gives me a nice feeling that I get to
mix with the people I work with, am happy to see them all there as we
line up for the food, chat, remember the past.?

Last year 2007 marked a distinct milestone because its 35-year
awardees were the very first five-year service award recipients when
then Executive Vice President  Father Antonio Samson instituted the
program in 1977.

Among those who were recognized last November 22, 2007, was LILLIAN
VERGARA, who started her career in the Ateneo as a high school teacher
in 1972, and was, until recently, Executive Director of OMIOD. In an
interview, she said she felt that her stay in the Ateneo had been time
well-spent in the midst of a caring community. Ironically it seems,
she said her best memories of the Ateneo happened in the worst moment
of her life, i.e., when her husband died. ?When Bert passed away, it
gave me great consolation to know that the community was with me, that
I was in the company of friends. I was getting notes of sympathy
through email and text from even the mission and spirituality offices
abroad.? In one of the wake Masses, ?Father Huang thanked the family
for letting me work even during weekends on behalf of the Society. It
made me feel a friendship, a sense of knowing that I was part of this
community. Thus my wish for the University is for this feeling of
belonging to a community of friends to be sustained.?

Lillian emphasized that ?regardless of many things, the University is
important. We must remember that we are a part of a potential source
of hope because it is a training ground for leaders. We have to
understand that we are part of something noble. It is the meaning of
the mission rather than personal interest. Thus service is giving your
best because we have been loved by God, whoever your God may be. Our
way of reciprocating the grace of being loved by God is by putting our
talents to other people?s benefit. So it is not the number if years
you put in it that matters, but how you make use of these talents for
something for the greater glory of God.?

BONG ACAIN is a computer technician. Two and a half decades ago he
began as a clerical worker, and has become adept at responding to
computer-related needs of the students in the Rizal Library. According
to Bong, ?Minahal ko yung trabaho ko at gusto ko magserbisyo sa
estudyante. Natutuwa akong makapaglingkod sa Ateneo. Nakaka-boost ng
spirit. Ang serbisyo ay pagtatrabaho nang buong puso, naglilingkod sa
kliyente, nagbibigay ng panahon sa nangangailangan kahit lampas na sa
oras ng trabaho mo, basta makatulong lang. Importante din ang pagiging
honesto.?

Another long-lasting member of the Ateneo community is FATHER JOSEPH
ROCHE. All combined he has taught philosophy and theology for
forty-five years in both the college (now Loyola Schools) and the
Loyola School of Theology. For him the value of teaching is in the
interaction with students. He said he finds himself learning a lot
from the students?even though it is to find out that they did not
understand anything! He feels, for example, that many things are
understood only on the academic level, rather than on the deeper faith
level. He believes that while many in the faculty are committed to
what the Ateneo stands for, ?we have to learn to teach the faith in a
way that relates to college students. I for one would like to see a
more explicit Catholic orientation.?

Another forty-five year service awardee last year, WALLY BELEN,
considers the Ateneo his home and the community, his family. He went
to the Ateneo de San Pablo for high school, he came to the AdMU for
college, then returned to San Pablo to teach after graduation. The
spirit that infused him in his college days he said he tried to bring
back to San Pablo: he taught his students the cheers, he introduced
class nights and other activities which, for him, instilled the Ateneo
spirit deeply in those whom he mentored. His best memories are of
teaching in the high school: ?they have become part of me and I of
them.?

Being in the economics faculty, though on a ?permanent parttime?
basis, has also been a source of happy memories for Wally. ?We are so
close here, we enjoy eating together. If someone has come from a trip
abroad, there is always pasalubong that is shared by everyone.?

?Service for me is giving without counting the cost, and loving the
work. The beauty of it is that the people one works for change all the
time. I still find delight in the knowledge that my former students
have done well in their careers, or in school. One time I was invited
to speak in Tarlac. It turned out that the one who introduced me was a
student of mine in San Pablo. He said that after all these years he
and his mother remember me well because of one field trip. He was
begging off from joining it because they did not have enough money. He
remembers me as letting him join just the same, and telling him,
?having no money should not be a hindrance to something like this.? He
is now a department head of a college in Tarlac.

?Ateneo has been my life. I feel so at home here because I know most
of the people here, from Father Nebres to the most senior librarian.
Even the the guards acknowledge me when I enter the gates. Some of my
former students in economics have become my department chairs! My
colleagues say that I make economics ?teachable? so when there are
workshops for public school teachers, for example, I am asked to do
it. That is my role. Indeed the university has been my life and I make
sure the students are happy about my teaching. It gives me a feeling
of completeness when I know that this happens.?

CONSTANTINO ?TIN? PLAZA began his employment in the Ateneo on his
birthday, April 12, twenty-five years ago. He started as electrician
when retired Col. Dimayuga was physical plant administrator. Tin is
now the head of the telephone system under Mr. Lee Miralao as
administrator. According to Tin, ?kaya ako nagtagal sa trabaho dahil
kasundo ko naman ang aking mga kasama, masaya kami dito, at napamahal
na sa akin ang trabaho ko.? There are also times when he performs
technical work as extra services to students and faculty, which he
does not charge for. He hopes the other Ateneo employees continue to
love their work as they do it: ?Nakikita ko naman na maayos ang
karamihan. Sana laging magtulungan sa trabaho, at iwasan ang inggitan.?

GINA YLAYA, also a 25-year awardee last year, finds that ?there is a
good fit between what the place needs and what I do. I am very
appreciative of the fact that it is a very humane, decent working
environment. The people who run the University make it easy for the
rest to do their jobs well. There are no moral dilemmas to deal with,
no struggle outside that of the mental struggle required in doing
one?s work. One does not have to fight for resources that one needs to
perform one?s job. It is easy to take this for granted, but in my job
where I get to interview people from all sorts of offices I am
reminded of this each time, that in the Ateneo there is nothing to
impede the successful performance of one?s work.

?One of the first things that struck me when I entered the campus
twenty-five years ago was the serenity of the place: the presence of
trees, the absence of concrete.? And it seems Gina was hooked from
that first encounter with the Ateneo.

?Service to me is making the most of your talents to achieve a certain
purpose or goal that?s bigger than yourself and that will be of
benefit to others. In the Ateneo there are opportunities for doing
something beyond the scope of one?s work. For some jobs the service
aspect may not be that obvious as say, in teaching, medicine, but the
University has all these activities where you can help?in its projects
for the poor, in politics, and so on. It is up to you to join or not.?

  (to be continued)

*(This two-part article was to have come out last year. Apologies to
those interviewed for not being able to post it sooner, but I am
sharing what was generously shared with me, because they still
inspire, a year after. Many thanks.)

--
Event in November: National Book Award winner for fiction MGA GERILYA
SA POWELL STREET by Benjamin Pimentel goes onstage at the CCP,

Ateneo de Manila University Press
Bellarmine Hall, AdMU Campus
Katipunan Ave., Loyola Heights
Tel 02-4265984; 4266001 ext 4613
unipress at admu.edu.ph
Visit our website: www.ateneopress.org

Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining it.
                           - Hannah Arendt