[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 25 November 2008 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Tue Nov 25 17:17:34 PHT 2008

Newsbriefs 25 November 2008 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod Ng Bayan

Walkout mars impeach hearing (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines - A brief walkout marred the impeachment hearing at the House of Representatives Tuesday as lawmakers pushing for the impeachment of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo protested allegations that they had filed a "falsified" document.

The incident occurred after Minority Floor Leader Ronaldo Zamora protested a claim by Cavite Representative Elpidio Bargaza that the complaint was notarized October 10, a day before it was executed and warned that the complainants could be charged with falsification of public documents.

Zamora questioned Barzaga's allegation and asked the justice committee presiding over the session to rule on the matter.

"I'm partly amused by the turn of events, the complainants have been here for the past two days trying to make a case. Some enthusiasm can be expected from anti-impeachment forces but I do not think that offering to charge the complainants with falsification of public documents is the way the committee should progress."

He also said that pro-impeachment lawmakers should not be insulted in the forum.

"We have been playing by the rules. . If any of our members are being challenged then I want to have satisfaction right now otherwise you will not see any other cooperation from the members and we will leave this proceeding right now," Zamora said.

House tackles Cha-cha today  (www.philstar.com)

The Charter change (Cha-cha) train shifts to high gear today at the House of Representatives, which begins public consultations on the manner of amending the Constitution.

La Union Rep. Victor Ortega, committee chairman, said yesterday his panel has invited several resource persons to speak on the Constitution and proposals to amend it.

"We want to focus on the preferred Cha-cha mode, whether constitutional change would be made through Congress convening as a constituent assembly (con-ass) or through an elected constitutional convention (con-con)," he said.

Charter change not Arroyo term extension (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines - (UPDATE) Moves to amend the 1987 Constitution do not necessarily mean a term extension for President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, the chairman of the committee presiding over the issue of Charter change at the House of Representatives said Tuesday.

"The term extension is merely talk, rumors or chismis. The committee has not received any resolution directly or indirectly [proposing] any extension of term. and I assure you that not one member of this committee wants to extend our terms," said La Union Representative Victor Ortega who heads the committee on constitutional amendments.

But lawyer Neri Colmenares of the National Union of People's Lawyers countered this, as he cited House Resolution 550 filed by Batangas Representative Hermilando Mandanas, among other nine resolutions calling for revisions in the current Charter.

Colmenares said HR 550 included "the postponement of the 2010 elections, the expansion of terms of members of Congress and the extension of the current term of all public officials, including President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, to June 30, 2011."

Bolante admits 'some irregularities'(INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- (UPDATE 7) Former agriculture undersecretary Jocelyn "Joc-Joc" Bolante has admitted there could have been "some irregularities" in the distribution of a questioned P728-million fertilizer fund but maintained that there was no scam.

"There was no scam," Bolante told the Senate blue ribbon committee on Tuesday, replying to questions from Senator Alan Peter Cayetano.

"The project itself wasn't a scam. There could be some irregularities, one or two, or three or four.but that doesn't make the whole project a scam," Bolante said.

APEC: Crisis contained in 2010 (www.philstar.com)

LIMA - Pacific Rim nations assured the world Sunday that the global financial crisis can be quelled in 18 months, but provided few details of how they expect that to happen - or how their governments can help.

The 21 economies, which represent more than half of the world's productive power, also pledged during a two-day summit not to erect new protectionist barriers for the next year, and to jump-start stalled World Trade Organization talks.

The main accomplishment of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum was a widening of support for the Washington Declaration made last weekend by major economies that pledged to maintain free trade despite pressures to protect domestic industries.

The leaders voiced confidence that the crisis could be resolved by mid-2010, though they did not go much beyond the steps outlined in the Group of 20 summit in Washington.

"We are convinced that we can overcome this crisis in a period of 18 months," the leaders said in a statement. "We have already taken urgent and extraordinary steps to stabilize our financial sectors and strengthen economic growth."