[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 14 November 2008 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Fri Nov 14 16:34:53 PHT 2008

Newsbriefs 14 November 2008 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

House threatens Bolante with arrest (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- Lawmakers at the House of Representatives have warned former agriculture secretary Jocelyn "Joc-Joc" Bolante not to snub their next hearing on the fertilizer fund scam or face possible arrest.

Palawan Representative Abraham Kahlil Mitra, chairman of the agriculture committee, said they would resume the hearing on Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.

"It's all systems go for our hearing on Tuesday. Bolante, better not snub us this time because our leniency might give way to the exercise of our powers to compel his attendance," Mitra said in a text message.

Expect more revelations on fertilizer fund mess - senator (www.gmanews.tv)
MANILA, Philippines - Senate Blue Ribbon committee chairman Alan Peter Cayetano on Friday said the public should expect more revelations in the P728-million fertilizer fund scam once the committee presents documents and testimonies before former Agriculture undersecretary Jocelyn "Joc-Joc" Bolante.

In an interview over radio dzBB, Cayetano said the first hearing on Thursday is only "the first step" and the Senate expects more from Bolante when it presents documents and Department of Agriculture officials who will implicate Bolante deeper into the scam.

"Sa mga susunod na hearing... ihaharap na namin sa kanya ang mga dokumento, mga opisyal mula sa Department of Agriculture... We'll have three or more hearings at least na kaharap niya mga tao, kaharap nya mga dokumento. Tingnan natin kung makukumbinsi niya (In the upcoming three or four hearings, we'll present to him documents and officials from the Department of Agriculture. Let's see if he can convince anyone)," said Cayetano.

Yap washes hands off Bolante fertilizer fund scam claim (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
Agriculture Secretary Arthur Yap said Friday that he is not the undersecretary for operations being referred to by former undersecretary Jocelyn "Jocjoc" Bolante as the official who may have had knowledge of the distribution of funds in the P728-million fertilizer project in 2004.

"I am denying it. We need to clarify that there were three undersecretaries for operations in 2004. Specifically Secretary [Cito] Lorenzo had direct orders on what I should do when I entered [as undersecretary] on March [of 2004]," Yap told ABS-CBN's morning show, "Umagang Kay Ganda."

Yap said he was administrator of the National Food Authority when Lorenzo invited him to hold the DA undersecretary for operations in a concurrent position. He said Lorenzo wanted him to help the DA solve issues besieging poultry and hog raisers.

COMELEC to require presidential debates in 2010 (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) will pass a resolution to hold presidential and vice-presidential debates as part of the preparations for the 2010 elections.

COMELEC Commissioner Rene Sarmiento, who was in Washington, D.C. to observe the US elections, said the televised debates of US president-elect barack Obama and Sen. John McCain helped voters decide.

"The debates informed the elctorate about the candidates' persona and stand on various issues," Sarmiento said.

Bishops told: Own up to mistakes (www.manilastandardtoday.com)

CHURCH leaders have admitted dropping the ball in the fight against the evils plaguing Philippine society.

Archbishop Angel Lagdameo, president of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines, said in his homily at the second national congress of the Basic Ecclesiastical Communities in Cagayan de Oro City that Church leaders must own up to such failure.

"Humbly, we must admit that the whole Church of the Philippines, that we have not been renewed enough," Lagdameo told participants of the convention.

"We have to make confession of acceptance of responsibility for some evils in our society. This acceptance is already the beginning of renewal," he said. "There cannot be renewal of the Church unless it starts within each individual."