[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 7 March 2008 Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Mar 5 06:52:42 PHT 2008

Newsbriefs 7 March 2008 Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Neri's day at Senate depends on SC (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

Whether or not Romulo Neri will appear before the Senate now depends on the Supreme Court which will decide if the chairman of the Commission on Higher Education should disclose confidential conversations he had with President Arroyo regarding the national broadband network (NBN) project.

Pending the high court's decision on the matter, all the Senate could do is wait and postpone its inquiry on Neri's knowledge about the controversial contract.

On Thursday, Senate President Manuel Villar faced magistrates to explain the reason why senators rejected the proposed compromise agreement for Neri's testimony.

"It's quite embarrassing, the Supreme Court might think we're picking up a fight, which is not the case," said Villar.

Palace to Senate: Reconsider rejection of compromise (www.philstar.com)

Malacañang urged senators yesterday to reconsider their rejection of the compromise proposed by Chief Justice Reynato Puno to break the impasse over the appearance of Commission on Higher Education Chairman Romulo Neri before the Senate to testify on the national broadband network (NBN) controversy.

Deputy Presidential Spokeswoman Lorelei Fajardo said the Palace is appealing to the senators' sense of statesmanship as she pointed out that executive privilege is enshrined in the Constitution.

"This (rejection) is a sad development," Fajardo said. "We earnestly appeal to the senators to reconsider their position on the compromise proposal of the Supreme Court (SC) while we await the final ruling of the Supreme Court.

"It would be in the best interest of the curious public if we can work within the framework of the Supreme Court proposal," she said.

Safeguards off, Palace execs told to face probes (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

Malacañang on Thursday night officially revoked two controversial directives issued by President Arroyo against congressional investigations in aid of legislation.

This, according to Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita, means that officials from Malacañang and other line agencies cannot use executive privilege as stated in Executive Order No. 464 and Memorandum Circular No. 108 as an excuse from being probed by the legislative branch.

"Executive officials and employees can no longer invoke Executive Order No. 464 and Memorandum Circular No. 108 as an excuse for not attending legislative inquiries in aid of legislation," Ermita said in Memorandum Circular No. 151.

DepEd chief says Lozada may now speak at schools, but ... (www.gmanews.tv)

MANILA, Philippines - After getting flak for banning ZTE witness Rodolfo Noel Lozada Jr from appearing at public schools, Education Sec. Jesli Lapus on Friday blinked on his "guidelines" saying Lozada can now visit schools under several conditions.

Lapus, who supervises public elementary and high schools, said Lozada may now speak before students during graduation rites, so long as he does not incite the students to go against the government and does not create controversy.

"Pwede sa graduation, kung di siya mag-incite or mag-create ng controversy. Alam natin pakay niya mag-incite ng ano. Ang paghahanap ng katotohanan di tayo nakakasiguro sino totoo sino hindi (Lozada can guest at graduation rites, so long as he does not incite or create
controversy. We know he is trying to incite something. And we cannot be sure that his search for truth is the right one)," Lapus said in an interview on dzRH radio.

Palace nixes opposition claim on Spratlys (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- The political opposition is resorting to "press statements and partisan hearings" because they are afraid of "impartial" proceedings.

This was Malacañang's reaction to reports that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo could have violated the Constitution when she entered into a tripartite agreement with China and Vietnam for joint exploration in the disputed Spratly Islands.

"Why does the opposition keep on resorting to press statements and partisan hearings? Is it afraid of impartial process?" Cabinet Secretary Ricardo Saludo said in a statement.