[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 23 January 2008 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Jan 23 16:53:24 PHT 2008

Newsbriefs 23 January 2008 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Opposition names some senatorial bets in 2010 (INQUIRER.net)

ORANI, Bataan -- United Opposition spokesman Adel Tamano, former Cavite congressman Gilbert Remulla, and incumbent Bukidnon congressman Teofisto Guingona III are among the opposition's senatorial bets for 2010, former Senate President Ernesto Maceda said Wednesday.

Maceda, chairman emeritus of UNO, also named incumbent Senators Jose "Jinggoy" Estrada and Ana Consuelo "Jamby" Madrigal as among the other senatorial bets of the opposition.

"They are also vice presidential material," he said.

Palace terminating 15-20 presidential assistants--Ermita (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- Malacañang is terminating the services of 15 to 20 presidential assistants under the Office of the President and reverting them to their mother agencies, Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita announced Wednesday.

At his regular press briefing, Ermita said he had signed on Monday the memorandum terminating the assistants.

The terminations, he said, are based on a review conducted on the number of presidential appointees in reaction to news reports that there are 53 presidential advisers, an issue he said President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo was "very sensitive to."

The review, he said, disclosed that there are only six presidential advisers, all of whom, "except for one or two," do not receive salaries, Ermita said.

'Politics in the way of good governance' (www.philstar.com)

The government fails to function as a professional institution because of political favors the present administration gives out to supporters, observes outgoing Civil Service Commission (CSC) chairman Karina Constantino David.

In fact, there are more political appointees during the term of President Arroyo than during the administration of pardoned former President Joseph Estrada, David pointed out yesterday.

"Career bureaucracy is no longer merit-based. You will no longer have a professional bureaucracy," said David, who will remain as CSC chair for nine more days before her term ends.

"How do you expect the career officials to speak? We have reached the height of politicizing the bureaucracy. At the rate things are going, I don't see a letup," David said before members of the Makati Business Club (MBC) at the Hotel InterContinental yesterday.

Dureza welcomes Church as peace talks mediator (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

The Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process has welcomed the initiative of the Catholic Church to act as a mediator in the resumption of peace talks between the government and National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP)

"If the Catholic Church would wish to help out as a facilitator I think it would be a welcome development," said Sec. Jesus Dureza on ANC's Top Story on Tuesday.

Dureza said the Catholic Church has a very strong constituency nationwide and would be helpful in many ways.

"Hindi ko pa lang natutukan talaga kung papaano dahil (I have not focused on how to do this but) this is the first time that this is being brought forth," he said.

De Venecia rejects abolition, cut in solons' 'pork' (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- Speaker Jose de Venecia has turned down proposals to either abolish or cut the legislators' priority development assistance funds (PDAF) or "pork barrel" but admitted the need to reform its implementation.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, De Venecia said the lawmakers' pork barrel should not be abolished because it would only go to other government officials, who have similar allocations.

"The pork barrel system is in place in Europe, in America, in Japan. What should be done is to reform, to further reform the process in the implementation of the pork barrel system," he said.

RP business leaders warns public to brace for US recession (Agence France-Presse)

The country's business leaders warned Wednesday there was little the country could do to ward off the effects of a possible US recession, except to prepare itself for greater challenges ahead.

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas governor Amando Tetangco said he hoped the US Federal Reserve's emergency cut in interest rates of 75 basis points would calm local markets.

"We will be monitoring how markets digest the Fed's surprise move. Overnight we saw some correction in the equities market in the US.

"This should benefit our own domestic markets as volatility would be reduced," Tetangco said in a statement.