[Blueboard] Sumilao Update Today: Colayco Pavillion

Cristina Montiel cmontiel at ateneo.edu
Wed Jan 23 05:26:03 PHT 2008

The Ateneo Community is invited to a student-initiated forum on "Beyond
the Hype: Continuing the Fight for the Sumilao Farmers", Wednesday,
January 23 (today!), 4:30 - 6 pm at the Colayco Pavillion.

Last December, the Sumilao Farmers were welcomed at the Ateneo after a
very long nonviolent march from Bukidnon to Manila, to claim their right
over their land.  While their Malacanang meeting seemed to be projected
by media as the point of their victory, sadly the fight has not yet been
won.

Our Ateneo student leaders want to clarify issues that have arisen
lately, and that have Falsely pictured the struggle for the land of the
Sumilao farmers as over. The forum organizers ask faculty members to
encourage their students to attend today's public forum.  Let us
rekindle the communal flame that welcomed the farmers to our campus last
December.  And walk forward with our Sumilao brothers and sisters in
their thirst for social justice.

Daghang salamat gid!

Ateneo Sumilao-Forum Organizers:

Loyola Film Circle
Youth Action Movement of the Assembly (Political Science Association)
Sanggunian
Development Society (DevSoc)