[Blueboard] The Pathways kids are going places ? literally!

Solvie T. Nubla snubla at ateneo.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:59:06 PHT 2008

Please post, thank you!

Dear Friend,

We?d like to share with you some of our students? recent successes:

ARCHIE DOLIT (V-BS ECE, ADMU) was part of the Ateneo team that won
Second Place in the recent SMART-SWEEP contest held in Cebu. They win
a cash prize of P 300,000 and Ateneo receives an equivalent amount in
the form of grants.
The SWEEP Innovation and Excellence Awards is one of SMART?s major
initiatives under SWEEP, its pioneering industry-academe partnership
that seeks to help raise the level of technology and engineering
education in the country.
REGINALD BUENO (II-BS Educational Psychology, DLSU) will be a ?Student
Ambassador? going on a 10-day visit to Japan as part of the Japan-East
Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths (JENESYS) Programme.

Reggie was selected by the National Youth Commission in conjunction
with the Japan International Cultural Center (JICC) of the Embassy of
Japan and the Japan International Cooperation Center (JICE).

The JENESYS Programme, funded by the Japanese Government and in
partnership with the ASEAN Secretariat, aims to deepen understanding
of the different facets of the Japanese society including politics,
diplomacy, economics and culture and to form the basis of future
vision and construct firm solidarity among Asian countries which will
promote mutual understanding of the future generation of ASEAN and
East Asia Summit member countries.

MITCHIE BONCODIN (II-AB International Studies, Miriam College) will
spend her first semester of junior year at the Royal Melbourne
Institute of Technology (RMIT), University of Australia on full
scholarship! Miriam College?s International Studies Department
nominated Mitchie after going through comprehensive screening and
deliberations on the entire sophomore batch of IS majors at Miriam
College.

Archie, Reggie and Mitchie are just some of the students nurtured by
the Pathways program since they were in high school. Through our
academic and self-enhancement programs and the partnerships we have
forged with universities, foundations and like-minded individuals, we
now see these students slowly grow into confident, successful young
adults now giving pride not just to their families, but to their
schools and the country as well!

Archie, Dolit and Reggie Bueno are scholars under the Offices of
Admission & Aid of the Ateneo de Manila University and De La Salle
University respectively.

Mitchie Boncodin is a scholar of the JCAP Program. JCAP was initiated
by US-based Filipina and distinguished Miriam alum, Dr. Josefina
Jayme-Card as a way of her ?giving back? to the Philippines. Ayala
Foundation and Ateneo-Pathways to Higher Education manage the program
in the Philippines.
These organizations along with the many young volunteers who mentored
them since high school are just some of the many people we have to
thank for enabling Archie, Reggie and Mitchie to shine. It just
confirms our belief that it takes an entire village to raise a child
and look at them now!

Congratulations to you ? Archie, Reggie and Mitchie! We are all very
proud of you!

Supporting a Pathways student?s allowance through college costs only P
12,000 per year (or P 1,000 a month), while sponsoring a high school
student through our two-month summer school program ? Alay ni Ignacio
(ANI) costs only P 1,500 per student.

Pathways to Higher Education is a five-year old education reform
program of the Ateneo de Manila University. To date, it has helped
bridge over 500 deserving but financially challenged students to
quality colleges and universities while nurturing another 500 high
school students to enter and complete college and contribute
positively to society.

For more information, you can check out our website:
www.pathwaysphilippines.org or email us at info.pathways at gmail.com

Sincerely,

Solvie T. Nubla
Pathways to Higher Education