[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 27 February 2008 Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Feb 27 09:53:59 PHT 2008

Newsbriefs 27 February 2008 Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

CBCP to Arroyo: Take lead in fight vs corruption  (INQUIRER.net)

"MANILA, Philippines -- (UPDATE 5) The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has asked President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and all branches of government "to take the lead in combating corruption" but stopped short of asking for her resignation.

"We are convinced that the search for truth in the midst of charges and allegations must be determined and relentless, and that the way to truth and integrity must be untrammeled, especially at the present time when questions about the moral ascendancy of the present government are being put in question," the bishops said in a pastoral letter Tuesday.

Tackling the issue of Ms Arroyo's resignation -- demanded by some business, civic and church groups and the academe -- the bishops decided against issuing a statement on it because they believed Ms Arroyo was "part of the process" in the search for the truth.

"In the end, we did not ask for resignation. The letter brings it to the reality that we still expect the President to be part of the efforts to seek reforms to find the proper pathway for our nation to come to political maturity," Bishop Leonardo Legazpi said."

Malacañang not quite ready to revoke EO 464 (www.gmanews.tv)

"While it "totally agreed" with the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) to search for truth, Malacañang admitted it is not quite ready to repeal the controversial Executive Order 464.

Presidential Spokesman Ignacio Bunye said Wednesday they will have to "seriously study" the matter, especially on the matter of executive privilege.

"This deserves very serious consideration. Siguro kailangan linawin lang natin kung ano talaga ang saklaw ng statement na ito (This deserves very serious consideration. We have to clarify what the CBCP meant)," Bunye said in an interview on dzBB radio."

CBCP pastoral letter does not discourage protests vs Arroyo (www.gmanews.tv)

"While it does not call for President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo's resignation, the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines' (CBCP) latest pastoral letter is not discouraging protests against her either, a bishop said.

Manila bishop Teodoro Bacani Jr made this clear Tuesday night after Malacañang claimed the CBCP's pastoral statement was in its favor.

Radio dzBB reported that Bacani, spiritual adviser of the influential El Shaddai, said the statement gives the faithful a free hand to decide what action to take against corruption.

He said the Church is leaving it to the people to decide what action to take, even if it could be another EDSA-type revolt."

B&W leader says CBCP has chosen to be 'irrelevant' (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has chosen to be "irrelevant" and "hands off" from the political turmoil caused by persistent allegations of corruption in President Arroyo's administration, a civil society group member said Wednesday.

Leah Navarro of the Black and White Movement said the group is disappointed and saddened by the CBCP's decision to avoid making a stronger stand against corruption in government.

Navarro admitted in an interview on ABS-CBN morning show, Umagang Kay Ganda, that her group and others seeking the truth were hoping that the CBCP would finally come up with a statement asking Mrs. Arroyo to resign after the 12-hour consultative meeting.

"Parang talagang ang mas gusto nila mag-hands off sila sa mga nangyayari ngayon. Lahat ng sinabi nila has been said before (It seems they really want to be hands off from all the things that are happening right now. All of the things they said has been said before)," she said."

US keeping close eye on political crisis--Kenney  (INQUIRER.net)

"MANILA, Philippines -- The United States is "watching with great interest" the unfolding political crisis in the country triggered by the allegedly graft-tainted national broadband network (NBN) contract, American Ambassador Kristie Kenney said Tuesday.

"I think from the US perspective, we're watching as we always do. It's a lively and energetic Philippine democracy. Lots of citizens with lots of views. We regard it as healthy," Kenney told reporters in Maragondon town, Cavite province, where she inspected a civic project under the Balikatan (shoulder-to-shoulder) joint exercises of Filipino and American soldiers."

RP seeks to become back office superpower by 2010 (Agence France-Presse)

"The Philippines aims to make the most of the economic slowdown in the US by capturing at least 10 percent of the world's back office work within the next two years, industry leaders say.

They say the problems in the US and the possibility of recession could be a bonus as more companies based there attempt to save money by outsourcing their operations to the Philippines.

Call centers and back-office operations, such as accounting and financial processes, medical and legal transcription, engineering services and software writing, is one of the fastest growing businesses in the Philippines.

The Business Process Association of the Philippines (BPAP) expects the sector to be posting revenues of 13 billion dollars and employ more than one million people by 2010."