[Blueboard] sci10 plenary

sio marquez nmarquez at ateneo.edu
Tue Feb 26 10:21:47 PHT 2008

?In order to make a universe as big and wonderful as it is, lasting as
long as it is?we?re talking fifteen billion years and we?re talking
huge distances here?in order for it to be that big, you have to make
it perfectly. Otherwise, imperfections would mount up and the universe
would either collapse on itself or fly apart, and so it?s actually
quite a precise job. And I don?t know if you?ve had discussions with
people about how critical it is that the density of the universe come
out so close to the density that decides whether it?s going to keep
expanding forever or collapse back, but we know it?s within one
percent.?

                                 George Smoot in an interview with Fred Heeren
                                   Show Me God: What the Message from Space Is
                                   Telling Us About God
                                   Day Star Publications, 2000, pp. 168

                      The Science and Society Plenary Series
                                     and the