[Blueboard] Kritika Kultura Lecture: Ironies of Feminism

Department of English Department at admu.edu.ph
Thu Feb 21 09:17:41 PHT 2008

                              KRITIKA KULTURA LECTURE SERIES

                                       invites you to
                                         a lecture

                           I R O N I E S   OF   F E M I N I S M

                                             by

                                    Prof. Delia D. Aguilar
                         Women's Studies, University of Connecticut

                                         commentary
                                             by

                                       Aida F. Santos
                            Human rights advocate, feminist, poet

                                   22 February 2008, Friday
                                         4.30 - 6.00 pm
                          Faculty/Staff Lounge, de la Costa bldg.
                               Ateneo de Manila University
                               Loyola Heights, Quezon City

*ABSTRACT*
What is feminism like today, almost 40 years after the founding of MAKIBAKA in
1970? How has it evolved to address women's concerns in a globalized 21st
century? To what extent is feminist theorizing in the academy linked to this
project and, therefore, independent of theory-making in the global North?
These questions are raised in light of the disciplining of academic feminism
in the North and its virtual abandonment of emancipatory goals. How can we
work our way out of the ironies wrought by a feminism that continues to claim
radicalism even when it has turned conservative?

*SPEAKER'S BIO*
Delia D. Aguilar has a long history of engagement with the women's movement in
the Philippines and the United States, and the tensions arising from First
World and Third World feminist encounters. Her book Women and Globalization,
co-edited with Anne Lacsamana, underscores the need to comprehend women's
labor as the motor of globalized production. Aguilar, who formerly taught
ethnic and women's studies at Bowling Green State University and Washington
State University, now teaches women's studies at the University of
Connecticut. She has also taught women's studies in UP and St. Scholastica
Collage.

*COMMENTATOR'S BIO*
Aida F. Santos (a.k.a. Aida Santos-Maranan) is a human rights advocate,
writer, researcher, educator, trainer, feminist.  She taught women's studies
at the masteral program at St. Scholastica's College (SSC) and served as
coordinator of its precursor women's studies non-degree program. As a pioneer
in the women's liberation movement, she co-founded several groups. Aida has
written numerous articles on women/gender issues and development concerns. She
has also served as an independent consultant to various local and
international organizations.

Department of English
School of Humanities
Ateneo de Manila University